Who What Wear: The 49th Superbowl Halftime Show Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

The 2015 NFL Superbowl Halftime show, presented by Pepsi, featured Katy Perry. She performed some of her hit singles and was accompanied by some special guests too, Lenny Kravitz and Missy Elliot. She blew away the crowd with her fun voice and stunning costumes. Style.com released an exclusive interview with designer Jeremy Scott, who styled the singer this year. We gathered all the details on these looks!

The opening look featured a leather flame two piece outfit on the singer as she performed ROAR. Not only did she start off hot, she road in on a moving lion. Designer Jeremy Scott told Style.com, “We wanted something very strong and striking and iconic and powerful.”

Photo: Jeremy Scott

Next up during her Dark Horse performance, Perry kept on the burning hot two piece, but the chess set up for the stage was visually breath-taking. The strategic game influenced the planning for this number as it was a cute play on words –the knight chess pieces definitely went along with the song title.

Speical guest Lenny Kravitz performed with Perry for her last single with the flame piece, I Kissed a Girl. If it was between Kravitz’s guitar solo and Perry’s leather two- piece, it’d be a close one. The two definitely nailed a hot duet.

Jeremy Scott assured Style.com, “there is no Deflate-gate going on here at all, these beach balls are fully inflated—we will have none of that!” Katy Perry’s second outfit was inspired by a beach ball and matched her stage set up perfectly for her performance of California Gurls. The beach ball bodice was a halter styled- crop top with the traditional primary coloring along with an above-the-knee cinched at the waist flare mini-skirt.

Photo: Jeremy Scott

To our surprise Missy Elliott performed Lose Control and Get Ur Freak On. We know we weren’t the only ones dancing around our living rooms! Perry wore a throwback jersey hoodie with crystals all over with the number 49, 49th Superbowl –how clever. Scott told Style.com, “You can’t really bounce around in a beach ball while you’re trying to get your freak on, you know?” The designer requested to add this costume for the performance so it would blend more with the hip-hop vibe.

Photo: Jeremy Scott

The final dress was designed for Moschino and featured, “giant holographic and silver Mylar sequin stars in different sizes all over, bursting on the shoulder on transparent wire so that it’s exploding like fireworks,” Jeremy Scott told Style.com. The sparkling number accentuated Perry’s performance of her single Fireworks as she flew across the stadium on a moving shooting star. We guess the teams playing weren’t the only ones who caught the audience’s attention! 

Photo: Jeremy Scott 

Don’t forget to tell us your favorite look on Instagram @HCPointPark!

Lexie Mikula is senior Mass Communications major at Point Park University from Harrisburg, PA. Lexie held the position of Campus Correspondent and contributing editor-in-chief of HC Point Park from May 2014 - May 2016. In addition to social journalism and media, she enjoys rainy days in the city, dogs with personality, watching The Goonies with her five roommates (and HC teammates!), and coffee... copious amounts of coffee.