What NYC Taught Me

How lucky am I to go to one of my dream destinations for Spring Break? I had the opportunity to go to New York City and during the trip learned a lot about myself and others:

1. I have the best friends a girl could ask for. Whenever I needed help through the streets or money for food my friends were always there.

2. The locals were so kind and helpful. I’ll admit and say that I was worried about how the locals would treat us. Everyone was so kind, a man gave me his umbrella during a heavy snow storm with no hesitation and with a lot of sincerity. I later gave the umbrella to a homeless man, because that’s just what you do in this world.

3. After visiting the BET offices and hearing the inspiring stories, I learned that I don’t have to have everything planned out.  If I love something and work hard at it, it will work out on its own.

4. I’m a lot more confident than I thought, and a napkin with your number left on it for the cute waiter actually works. 

Shalida is a Sophomore Journalism major at Point Park University. She enjoys writing poetry, short stories, and updating her personal blog. In her free time she likes to cook, and read J.D. Salinger stories, and Sylvia Plath poems.  Originally from Cleveland, Ohio she is a huge Cleveland Browns fan  and watches every game. Besides football, Shalida loves fashion and hopes to write for a lifestyle magazine. This is Shalida's second year as a writer for Her Campus.