What Happened To Iggy Azalea?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

Just one year ago, Iggy Azalea was on top of the world. Her worldwide smash “Fancy”, became a staple at pop radio and easily one of the biggest hits of 2014. She followed up the success with her debut album The New Classic, second single “Black Widow”, and was also featured in Ariana Grande’s mega hit, “Problem”. You couldn’t go anywhere in 2014 without seeing or hearing about her. Yet by the end of 2014, things started to shift for Iggy. She was labeled as “fake”, “fast food hip hop” and started feuds with fellow rappers. Also her follow up single to “Fancy” and “Black Widow”, “Beg For It”, failed to take off.

Now here we are in 2015, in one short year Iggy has gone from the poster child of Top 40 music to the joke of it. From a postponed tour to a twitter feud with Papa Johns (yes I am not joking), this is not Iggy’s year, but the question is what happened? Simple, Iggy was a fad. Something new that just has fast as the public ate up, they spit out. This is something that has happened to the likes of Carly Rae Jepsen, LMFAO, and Robin Thicke. Poor ticket sales for her Great Escape Tour and two failed singles point all signs to the demise of Iggy Azalea. I plan to go to Iggy’s Washington D.C show this October, but I am scared to even purchase tickets. This tour has been postponed and opening act, Nick Jonas, has even pulled out the tour. Fans and ticket buyers should not be hesitate to purchase tickets for a concert. This is not good for the future success of the tour and could kill it all together.

However, does she have a saving grace? Possibly. She is rumored to be on Britney Spears upcoming single and apparently wants her new album to be “less pop, rawer”. These two factors could save Iggy and get her back into the general public’s heart….and earphones. Iggy needs to make a serious decision. Does she still want to do this and how bad does she want it? Will she need to completely reinvent herself or face that music that she might become a flash in the pan? Only time will tell, but if you still haven’t got over your Iggy fever, the star will be heading back on tour in the fall and will be making new music very soon. I-G-G-Y will you keep us interested?  I guess we are about to find out.

Brendan Dazen was born June 10th, 1994 in Pittsburgh, Pa. As a child he particapted in such activities as soccer, dance, theater, baseball, and singing. He grew up to love theater and music so much. He even landed a "Best Newcomer" award for Peters Township High School's theater department . He now attends Point Park University for Sports, Arts, and Entertainment Management. He wanted to become a member of HerCampus because he wanted to share his thoughts and ideas of pop culture, music, and fashion with his campus, and hopefully other schools. Brendan has a strong interset in Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus, sunflowers, fashion, adventutres, photography, concerts, and dance. He hopes in the future to be a production manager.
Haleigh Kopinski is a senior Creative Writing major with a minor in Psychology at Point Park University. Haleigh started out as a contributing writer and photographer for Her Campus Point Park and is now a Co-Campus Correspondent. When she's not writing or hanging out with her boyfriend she enjoys going to Pirates games, taking pictures, drawing, eating at new places, and going to concerts. She works at Olive Garden while she is home from school and when it's not taking up her summer time she loves boating on the Allegheny River. She is currently in the process of planning a cross-country road trip which will become a featurelength documentary. You can learn more about the trip at facebook.com/getbornfilm or indiegogo.com/projects/get-born/x/6924599#home If you like reading her pieces be sure to follow her at twitter.com/haleighkopinski or xfrankthetankx.tumblr.com to see some personal wit.