Upcoming Summer Music Festivals & How To Dress For Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

We all wish we could spend our summers travelling along with the various awesome music festivals. With crazy line-ups from Coachelle, Lollapalooza, Bonnaroo, and Fashion Meets Music Festival, it’s so tempting to blow the money you’ve been trying to save up on tickets. We found the best summer festival line-ups for you, and with some important tips on what to wear!

1. Beale Street Music Festival, first weekend of May, Memphis, TN

Beale Street Music Festival has one of the most eclectic line-ups of any summer festival. With headliners such as Kid Rock, Alabama Shakes, Foster the People, Snoop Lion, Juicy J, Motorhead, and Avenged Sevenfold, everyone is sure to get a taste of their favorite genre. This festival appeals to any and all kinds of music fans, which is why it’s one of the top music festivals of the year.

2. Sasquatch! Music Festival, May 23-25, Gorge, WA

Calling all indie lovers! This year, the line-up features OutKast, Queens of the Stone Age, Foster the People, HAIM, The Naked and Famous, and Mogwai. Even if you don’t like indie music, there are still plenty of other artists like Kid Cudi, Die Antwoord, and Tyler, the Creator making appearances. This festival is sure to be one to remember every year, so if you can’t make it this year, buy 2015’s tickets in advance!

3. Governors Ball, June 6-8, Randall’s Island, NY

Governors Ball’s line-up features Jack White, The Strokes, Skrillex, Vampire Weekend, J. Cole, Phoenix, Interpol, TV on the Radio, Foster the People and Swedish House Mafia. Governors Ball 2013 proved to everyone that nothing can stop the music. The festival weathered a tropical storm and flash flood warning last year, but even through all the mud and rain, the attendees wouldn’t give up on the incredible line-up.

4. Bonnaroo, June 12-15, Manchester, TN

Do we even have to tell you why you should go to Bonnaroo? We hope not, but just as a little incentive, the line-up this year is featuring, Kanye, Skrillex, Frank Ocean, The Avett Brothers, Jack White, Elton John, Vampire Weekend, Phoenix, The Flaming Lips, Neutral Milk Hotel and the Arctic Monkeys! That’s not even the half of it! Bonnaroo is one of the summer music festivals that promises you an experience of a lifetime.

5. Warped Tour, June 14-August 3, coming to a city near you!

Warped Tour isn’t just the music festival of your middle school years anymore. Every year, the line-up includes more and more bands that they know will keep people coming back for more. This year will include The Devil Wears Prada, Mayday Parade, Yellowcard, Anberlin, and Issues. The line-up keeps updating until the tour starts, so make sure to check out the full list. Beat the heat this summer with one of the most popular music festivals in America!

6. Firefly, June 19-22, Dover, DE

Her Campus Point Park’s own Lexie Mikula is a veteran of Firefly as well as a returning attendee for the 2014 festival! When asked about Firefly, Lexie said, “Firefly is my favorite part of the summer! Everything about it is just so incredible! Not only do they bring in the most incredible artists spanning every genre you could think of, but Firefly goers are like one big happy family. I’ve met the most amazing people there. It’s truly the time of my life!” The 2014 line-up includes Foo Fighters, OutKast, Jack Johnson, Imagine Dragons, Pretty Lights, the Lumineers, Arctic Monkeys, Weezer and more!

7. Lollapalooza, August 1-3, Chicago, IL

Lollapalooza has a reputation of being one of the most organized festivals in the country after getting right back on schedule after a bad storm shut down activities for part of the weekend in 2012. If knowing that everything will go smoothly at your festival isn’t enough, just think about how you get to see Eminem, OutKast, Kings of Leon, Skrillex, Calvin Harris, Lorde, Childish Gambino, and Arctic Monkeys during your stay! Plus, according to Krewella, the other bonus is that you get to explore Chicago!

8. Fashion Meets Music Festival, August 29-31, Columbus, OH

What more could you want!? Fashion Meets Music Festival owns up to its name, serving as one entertainment platform with runways and stages in one. 500 performances and 250 artists in 72 hours, the line-up includes Local Natives, Cold War Kids, Circa Survive, New Found Glory, Switchfoot, Parachute, Citizen, and Brick & Mortar among others! This is a festival nobody will want to miss.

Now that you have heard about the festivals, let’s talk about how to dress for the occasion. At every festival, you are always going to see those girls walking around in their bikini tops and short shorts with the zipper undone. Our advice? Avoid that at all costs. Instead, dress cute and light! Don’t layer a lot, wear floral and lace, and lots of flowy fabrics! You’ll feel a lot lighter as well as not feeling like you’re showing too much skin. Take some advice from Vanessa Hudgens and her Coachella style!

Nicolette Kalafatis is a cinema production student (class of '17) at Point Park University. Nicolette joined Her Campus because she has always had an interest in writing, especially journalism. With a love of learning, she enjoys writing articles that bring unique things to readers' attention. When she was younger, Nicolette dreamed of working for a fashion magazine. Today, she plans to follow her dreams into film, but plans to keep writing, whether for a company or on her own on her wordpress. Nicolette's favorite thing about Her Campus is that she has met so many incredible people through it, and she has become friends with people that she may have never even met had it not been for Her Campus. She plans to encourage as many people as possible to join no matter their major. Nicolette hopes to take Her Campus Point Park to new horizons alongside the chapter's Campus Correspondants. She is very happy to be a part of the chapter since its first year and is excited to see how it grows and gets better.