The top 13 must hear songs from Broadway’s “Hamilton”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you’ve probably heard of Hamilton, the musical that is taking Broadway by storm. Based on the life of Alexander Hamilton, the first Secretary of the Treasury and one of the Founding Fathers, the show follows his life from his childhood to his death in 1804.

You may be wondering the same thing I was a few months ago, “Why are people so obsessed with a musical about Alexander Hamilton?.” Listen to the album once through and you’ll have your answer. Ever since I took the plunge and listened to the soundtrack, I haven’t been able to stop. Not all of us have the time to sit down and listen to all 46 songs, so here are the top 13 songs you must listen to!

“Alexander Hamilton” – The opening number of the musical covers Hamilton’s life from his childhood struggle in the Caribbean all the way up to when he arrives in the United States.

“My Shot” – Hamilton, John Laurens, Hercules Mulligan, and Marquis de Lafayette discuss their pursuit of success despite adversities.

“The Schuyler Sisters” – This track introduces the Schuyler Sisters: Eliza, Angelica, and Peggy.

“You’ll Be Back” – King George’s song to the colonies after they start revolting is more pop compared to the R&B and rap sound of the album and is a little funny in it’s own way!

Right Hand Man” – Hamilton discusses George Washington’s need for a ride-or-die during his battle in New York.

“Helpless” – Eliza meets Hamilton at a ball and immediately falls in love. This song follows their meeting, courtship, and marriage.

“Satisfied” – At Hamilton and Eliza’s wedding, her sister Angelica gives a toast to the bride and groom and the audience is revealed to her side of what happened that night at the ball.

“Wait For It” – My favorite track off the album, this song is Aaron Burr’s parallel to My Shot. While Hamilton charges forward and wastes no time, Aaron Burr explains he is willing to wait for the perfect moment.

“Take a Break” – Eliza and Angelica try to convince Hamilton to join them at their father’s house upstate, but ultimately fail.

“The Room Where It Happens” – This track describes Aaron Burr’s desire to be able to be in the room when Hamilton, Jefferson, and Madison when the Compromise of 1790 was discussed.

“One Last Time” – Thomas Jefferson has stepped down to run for President and George Washington pulls Hamilton into his office to tell him he doesn’t plan on running against Jefferson.

“Burn” – After Hamilton is forced to reveal to the world that he had an affair with Maria Reynolds, Eliza sings this heartbreaker about Hamilton tearing their life apart.

“Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story” – The finale is one of the most emotional songs in the entire musical, and takes place after Hamilton is killed by Burr. Eliza sings to her late husband about how she did all she could to tell his story.

Overall this is an amazing album that has changed the face of Broadway and music forever. If you have the time I definitely recommend listening to the entire album as it really gives you the full experience. You can listen to the album on Spotify or buy it on iTunes!

Rebekah Mohrmann is a Senior Sports, Arts, and Entertainment Management major and Multimedia minor at Point Park University. You can find her on Instagram and Twitter at @rebekahxmarie. 
Lexie Mikula is senior Mass Communications major at Point Park University from Harrisburg, PA. Lexie held the position of Campus Correspondent and contributing editor-in-chief of HC Point Park from May 2014 - May 2016. In addition to social journalism and media, she enjoys rainy days in the city, dogs with personality, watching The Goonies with her five roommates (and HC teammates!), and coffee... copious amounts of coffee.