Title IX and PAAR at Point Park University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

Keeping with the theme of Sexual Violence Awareness Week, it remains vital to educate ourselves about sexual violence and especially to educate ourselves about what we can do if this tragedy occurs to us or our loved ones. Thankfully, Point Park University follows Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex when it comes to educational programs and financial assistance. Title IX also states: “Sexual misconduct, including sexual discrimination, of any kind is inconsistent with the University’s values and will not be tolerated.” Additionally, the university has designated several administrators as Title IX contacts. The university recommends contacting any of the following if the need arises to report sexual misconduct:

• Karen S. McIntyre, Senior Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs, Title IX Coordinator (Institutional Oversight)kmcintyre@pointpark.edu or (412) 392-3976

• Keith Paylo, Associate Vice President of Student Affairs, Deputy Title IX Coordinator (Student Contact)kpaylo@pointpark.edu or (412) 392-3862

• Guy Catania, Assistant Vice President of Human Resources, Deputy Title IX Coordinator (Staff Contact)gcatania@pointpark.edu or (412) 392-4727

• James Thomas, Associate Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs, Deputy Title IX Coordinator (Faculty Contact)jhthomas@pointpark.edu or (412) 392-3983

• Elizabeth H. Rosemeyer, Assistant Director, Title IX Compliance (Compliance Contact)erosemeyer@pointpark.edu or (412) 392-3980

You can also file an Online Incident Report here, with the option to remain anonymous.

Point Park also works very closely with Pittsburgh Action Against Rape (PAAR) in order to ensure a safe campus. PAAR’s mission is to “respond, educate, and advocate to end sexual violence” and they provide a 24-hour free confidential support hotline at 1-866-END-RAPE.

Important local support contact includes:

• Point Park Police: (412) 392-3960

• Point Park Counselling Center: (412) 392-3959

• Point Park Student Health Center: (412) 392-3800

• Center for Victims of Violent Crimes 24-hour Helpline: (412) 392-8582

• Women’s Center and Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh: (412) 687-8005

• Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC: (412) 641-4933

• UPMC Mercy Hospital: (412) 232-8222

You can also read Point Park’s Title IX FAQ here.

Kevin Malesic is a freshman Sports, Arts, and Entertainment Management major at Point Park and is thrilled to be getting involved with Her Campus.
Lexie Mikula is senior Mass Communications major at Point Park University from Harrisburg, PA. Lexie held the position of Campus Correspondent and contributing editor-in-chief of HC Point Park from May 2014 - May 2016. In addition to social journalism and media, she enjoys rainy days in the city, dogs with personality, watching The Goonies with her five roommates (and HC teammates!), and coffee... copious amounts of coffee.