Thirsty Thursday Non-Alcoholic Drink Recipes!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

Have you ever wanted to have cute mixed drinks without the alcohol mix? Or to throw a party but had nothing virgin for the designated drivers to drink? Here are some of the recipes for simple drinks everyone can make and enjoy (whether they’re opting out of the alcohol or not!

Photo by Haleigh Kopinski

Shirley Temple: the one drink we all have ordered once or twice as kids.

• Fill a glass half-full with ice, fill 3/4 the way with ginger ale, add a splash of orange juice (optional), and a little bit of grenadine syrup. Stir in the glass and garnish with some maraschino cherries. This is a classic drink that is hard to mess up!
  • If you’d like to make it alcoholic: add 2 ounces of vodka. For even more cherry, try cherry flavored vodka such as Three Olives or Burnett’s.

Arnold Palmer: a combination of two favorite drinks.

• Fill a glass half-full with ice, fill the cup 2/3 of the way with lemonade, and pour unsweetened tea on top of the lemonade until the glass is filled. Garnish with a lemon wedge.
  • If you’d like to make it alcoholic: add 2 ounces of vodka. For a tart taste, try citrus, lemon, or even lemonade flavored vodka Three Olives or Burnett’s.

Strawberry Daiquiri: a refreshing summer drink that will be sure to cool you down on those hot days.

• In a blender filled with ice cubes, add 3 cups of freshly chopped strawberries (may substitute a bag of frozen strawberries), and 1/4 cup of lime juice. Turn the blender on high until the ice cubes are evenly crushed and the mixture is smooth. Cut a slit in the bottom tip of a strawberry to garnish the side of the glass. Relax and drink!
  • If you’d like to make it alcoholic: add 1 cup of white rum such as Captain Morgan or Bacardi to the mixture before you blend it. For a creamier daiquiri, add some strawberry-flavored Tequila Rose.

Mojito: a minty cooler that’s for sure to be hit with whoever tries it.

• In a glass, muddle 15 mint leaves (this may seem like a lot, but they’re pretty small, so be generous), 1 teaspoon of sugar, 1 ounce of fresh lime juice, and 1/2 ounce of simple syrup. Fill the glass half-full with ice then top with ginger ale (may substitute club soda or sparkling water). Sip or chug – the choice is yours!
  • If you’d like to make it alcoholic: add 2 ounces of white rum such as Captain Morgan or Bacardi.

Mexican Margarita: taking you back to spring break, one blender at a time.

• In a blender filled with ice cubes, add the juice of one lime, one can of frozen limeade concentrate (thawed), and 1/4 cup of orange juice (optional). Turn the blender on high until the ice cubes are evenly crushed and the mixture is smooth. Take a lime wedge and rub on the rim of your margarita glasses. Pour some salt evenly onto a saucer and dip the now damp rim into the salt. Enjoy!
  • If you’d like to make it alcoholic: add 1 1/3 cups of orange-flavored liqueur. If you’re trying to be a little more authentic with a stronger drink, try some tequila such as 1800 or Jose Cuervo at your own discretion.

Mudslide: for the chocolate and coffee lover, you won’t be let down.

• In a blender, add 1 quart of vanilla ice cream (may substitute chocolate or coffee flavored), 1/2 cup of cold coffee, 1½ cups of heavy whipping cream, 1/4 cup of chocolate syrup, and 2 cups of milk. Turn the blender on medium until the mixture is smooth without large lumps. Pour into a glass, top with whipped cream, drizzle with chocolate syrup and a maraschino cherry (chocolate sprinkles work too!). This drink will be sure to satisfy your sweet tooth!
  • If you’d like to make it alcoholic: add 2 ounces of vodka, 2 ounces of Kahlua, and 2 ounces of Irish cream liqueur.
Haleigh Kopinski is a senior Creative Writing major with a minor in Psychology at Point Park University. Haleigh started out as a contributing writer and photographer for Her Campus Point Park and is now a Co-Campus Correspondent. When she's not writing or hanging out with her boyfriend she enjoys going to Pirates games, taking pictures, drawing, eating at new places, and going to concerts. She works at Olive Garden while she is home from school and when it's not taking up her summer time she loves boating on the Allegheny River. She is currently in the process of planning a cross-country road trip which will become a featurelength documentary. You can learn more about the trip at facebook.com/getbornfilm or indiegogo.com/projects/get-born/x/6924599#home If you like reading her pieces be sure to follow her at twitter.com/haleighkopinski or xfrankthetankx.tumblr.com to see some personal wit.