There’s More to Amsterdam Than Just the Bud

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

A lot of times, whenever people think of Amsterdam the first thing that usually comes to mind is the legalization of marijuana and prostitutes. And while Amsterdam is becoming quite the hippie haven and a must visit place for people in their twenties, it has much more to offer than the exquisite nightlife. How can people visit such a unique place like Amsterdam and just look past all the beauty, eco-friendly benefits, and history of such a place? During my visit, I compiled a list of hidden gems and must do things while in Amsterdam.

1. Walking Tours

Every city you go to offers them in some way or another, and most of the time if you do enough internet digging you can find some service that offers them for free. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THESE. You get a personal tour of the city you are visiting as well as a little history lesson. Without this walking tour, I would have never of found out that Amsterdam was one of the most crime-free cities in Europe or why most of their buildings along the canal are angled.

2. Drink Some Heineken

Weirdly enough, it’s cheaper than water in most places and this is because Heineken was founded in Amsterdam in 1864. It’s a light, easy to drink beer and with an ABV of only 5%, so you can casually drink it without feeling some type of way. Amsterdam also offers a Heineken brewery tour that ends with some Heineken sampling at the end. So, if you’re just trying to have a good time without seeing double, Heineken is the way to go.

3. Rent Some Bikes

It’s the number one form of transportation in Amsterdam. It’s the fastest way to get around and you’re able to see so much more if you hop on a bike. It’s also their number one method of transportation, so if you want to act like the locals do, this is the way to do it. Pus, Amsterdam is one of the most eco-friendly cities in Europe. So when you opt out of a taxi and bike your way from point A to point B, you are directly contributing to their eco-friendly habits and way of living.

4. Take in the Beauty

It’s cliche, I know. But Amsterdam is truly one of the most beautiful cities that I have ever been to. Eah turn you take leads you to a new little street lined with bikes with a view of a canal. I also went during their fall, so each street was painted with orange, red, and yellow leaves that would fall with perfect grace. The whole city almost seemed to perfect to be true, like it was straight out of a movie. There are also several parks in Amsterdam that are a quiet little escape from the busy streets, which are worth strolling through.

5. Museums

The Anne Frank museum and Van Gogh museum are must sees on your trip to Amsterdam. The Anne Frank museum is something that everyone should see at some point in their lives. It’s something we grow up reading about and learning about, but when you walk into the attic that they were hiding in, you are just overwhelmed with emotions and it’s an eye opening experience. Aside from Anne Frank, I would set aside a couple of hours to check out the work of the one and only, Van Gogh. You would be surprised at how much art someone can make in just 10 years. You could easily get lost in this museum for 4 hours, but every piece of art is worth observing.

If you’re looking for your famous coffeeshop in Amsterdam, I promise you will stumble across one. And if that’s the only reason you’re going to Amsterdam, that’s cool too. Just keep in mind that Amsterdam has a lot more to offer besides the bud and Red Light District.

All photos by Bailey Penrod

Casey McGaw

Point Park

Social Media Manager - Her Campus at Point Park Casey McGaw is a second semester senior at Point Park University hoping to pursue a career within sports and social media. Casey is an unashamed Harry Potter enthusiast (#TeamRavenclaw) and enjoys long, romantic walks to the fridge. She hopes to make a positive impact on the world around her through social justice advocacy and good puns. And as a social media professional, she is eager to share her "GIFs" with the world.