Ten Holidays in February That Aren’t Valentines Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

Yeah, we know. The isles in Walgreens are washed in pink and red and sparkles and the candy bags turn to big, cheesy declarations of your undying love for that “special someone.” Sometimes, I don’t ask for my box of Turtles to tell someone they’re your favorite cuddle buddy; I just want some Turtles.

In honor of the love-jammed consumerism that is the month of February, here are some holidays in February that aren’t Valentine’s Day:

1. National Serpent Day, Feb. 1st

Wow. What a coincidence that a holiday celebrating snakes starts off the month of February. Interesting.

2. GROUNDHOG DAY, Feb. 2nd

Buckle up, Bill Murray, it’s Groundhog Day. This special day actually takes place in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania and revolves around a groundhog popping out of its hole to foretell the weather; If its shadow is seen and goes back into its hole, we expect six more weeks of winter, but if there’s no shadow, the spring season will arrive early.

Fun Fact: The groundhog’s official name and title is “Punxsutawney Phil, Seer of Seers, Sage of Sages, Prognosticator of Prognosticators, and Weather Prophet Extraordinary.”

3. National Thank a Mailman Day, Feb. 4th

Why not express your love and appreciation for someone who does equally as much for you as your lover does? Mailmen and Mailwomen deserve the world; Or a box of chocolates.

4. National Fettuccine Alfredo Day, Feb. 7th

Why crave the warmth of a human person when you could just have a bowl of warm pasta? Hahaha, yeah.

5. National Bagel day AND National Pizza Day, Feb. 9th

You know what that means!!

Could a day be any better? It’s also National Toothache Day, but we won’t talk about that one.

6. National Make a Friend Day, Feb. 11th

Why’s everyone so obsessed with romantic relationships? A good friendship will carry you far. This is a great excuse to talk to the people on Tinder with “looking for friends” in their bio.

7. Singles Awareness Day, Feb. 15th

Singles Awareness Day–SAD, for short–is celebrated right after V-Day and is a chance for all people who are single by choice to get together and celebrate being not tied down and free to do anything they want with whomever they want. We also have very, very fulfilling careers.

8. National Random Acts of Kindness Day, Feb. 17th

Don’t think you need Valentine’s Day as an excuse to do something nice for someone: do it on National Random Acts of Kindness Day! SO much less commercialized, tbh.

9. National Drink Wine Day, Feb. 18th

If all of the other holidays just aren’t doing it for ya, at least we have this day.

10. National Love Your Pet Day, Feb. 20th

In my opinion, this is the most important holiday in the month of February.

My dogs are almost as cute as my grandpa.

So you see, there are many other special people and things to celebrate in the month of February. In case thess holidays aren’t enough, don’t forget February is also National Snack Food Month and National Hot Breakfast Month, so if you can’t fill yourself with the love of a significant other, fill it with food. Happy February!

Cassie Berta

Point Park

Loud, Liberal, Libra. Freshwoman, Theatre Arts Major; Editorial and Publications Coordinator for HC Point Park. Further antics and opinions found on my social media: Instagram- @cassieeberta Twitter- @SmollCassie
Rebekah Mohrmann is a Senior Sports, Arts, and Entertainment Management major and Multimedia minor at Point Park University. You can find her on Instagram and Twitter at @rebekahxmarie.