The Survival Guide For Collegiette Commuters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

Living on campus can be awesome, but some students choose to be commuters to save money or live more independently. However, being a commuter can make day-to-day a little more difficult because of buses, cooking, and not being able to walk down to class in yours PJ’s and slippers! Here are some tips to make the best of your living situation:

Pack It Up!                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

You can usually still purchase a meal plan when you’re a commuter, but once you do the math, a visit to the all-you-can-eat cafeteria can be between $7-10 (that’s a visit to Panera!). Preparing your own meals is less than half the price, and much healthier than chicken patties and pizza!

Packing your lunch might make you feel like you’re in elementary school again – but there’s no need for a lunchbox with this pick! Pack your lunch in a lightweight, silicone collapsible container; it folds up at half the size when you’re finished, plus it’s microwaveable and easy to clean! This one from Walmart by Smart Planet has three compartments, a double-sided fork and spoon and a compartment for condiments.

Cut It Out!

Check the Sunday paper for ads from local grocery stores and look for sales. Online manufacturer’s coupons can stack on sale prices to save you even more – in fact, grocery stores purposely will put a product on sale when another coupon is available so that the product sells fast! Aldi’s is usually the cheapest place to grocery shop, and has a wide variety of fresh fruits and veggies, frozen meals, snacks and toiletries.

Just Pay Half!

Periodically, check deal sites like Groupon and Living Social for insane restaurant discounts – sometimes you can get gift certificates at half off!

Buy In Bulk!

Buy from wholesale stores like Costco and Sam’s Club. You’ll get more for your money, and it will last you all year, or you could split the cost with your neighbors. But there’s also no shame in keeping the 3-pack box of Cheez-its for yourself!

Put It On The Shelf!

Check if your school has lockers available for commuter students. In your locker, you can keep extra clothes, PJs and toiletries if you need to freshen up or stay the night in your friend’s dorm. You can also keep some non-perishables like cans of soup, Easy Mac, Ramen, and bags of snacks. Of course, it’s a good place to put your extra books in between classes. It’s SO high school…but your back will thank you for the relief!

Be Travel Savvy!

A bus is likely the cheapest way to travel if you don’t live within walking distance. Check to see if your school offers discounted bus tickets. If you drive, you’ll probably need to get a parking pass issued to park in the student lot. If there is no student lot, you may need to lease a spot in a nearby parking garage. Ask your school if there are any lots around with a discount for students (there usually are).

Use Your ID!

Your tiny little student ID can get you some major deals. Check out my last article, which has many more tips for living on the cheap!

Point Park University Junior Acting major with minors in Frappuccinology and Complaining About Boys. The girl on campus with the sequin beanie and the giant shiny headphones (yep, that girl). I usually wear mostly pink and the gym and have nearly 300 bottles of nail polish. Now that I've given you more than enough reasons to hate me, take a looksie at my DIY articles. Maybe you'll change your mind. Comments and suggestions more than welcome!