Summer Beach Vacations Affordable For Collegiettes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

Photo by Allie Duda

Wanting to get away this summer, but feel like it’s impossible since you’re on a tight budget? Good news: it is possible! With a little early planning and saving, you can still have your fun in the sun. Here are a few affordable beach vacation locations we recommend:

Destin, Florida

This spot in the Florida panhandle has a 100-mile stretch of sugary sand that fronts the Gulf of Mexico and offers a fair share of golf and tennis to divulge in. Stay at the Wingate Hotel, where room prices with continental breakfast start in the double digits in the off-season! In Destin you can wake up early and take a stroll with the pelicans and sandpipers on the beach just as the fishing boats head out to sea. Feel free to join them and catch some sea life of your own! Destin has many small cafes on the dock to chill and listen to blues music.

Outer Banks, North Carolina

The Outer Banks (right off of the North Carolina coast) consists of barriers of sand 150 miles long and never more than a few miles wide. Enjoy great fishing, walk the wild sand dunes, or lay in the sand to soak up some Vitamin D along the Atlantic Ocean. The Outer Banks boasts 400 species of birds from native Carolina wrens to wintering bald eagles, along with otters and sea turtle colonies. Not to mention five lighthouses to tour! Also, if you are a history buff, you will want to visit Kitty Hawk- the site where Orville and Wilbur Wright learned how to fly, and the North Carolina Aquarium on Roanoke Island. For clean, affordable lodging close to the beach, you can find rooms starting at $65 a night!

Huntington Beach, California

Live it up on the West Coast this summer just North of the famous Laguna Beach; you are sure to spot a celebrity or two. Take a trip to the International Surfing Museum and learn to surf the waves of the Pacific Ocean. It won’t be hard to find your own slice of paradise since Huntington Beach boasts eight miles of uninterrupted waterfront. Rooms across the beach range from $100-$129, and is just feet away from some of the best local shops and restaurants.

Cape Ann, Massachusetts

This beautiful New England destination is only forty miles north of Boston (reachable by commuter rail). Cape Ann beckons sun worshippers to its long stretches of sand, and when you’ve had your dose of Vitamin D for the day, head to the village of Rockport. It’s known for its shops, galleries, and restaurants- try Woodman’s of Essex if you dig seafood! Staying in hotels nearby will only cost you from $90-$100 a night in the busy season.

Presque Isle of Erie, Pennsylvania

This “almost island” has 11 miles of beaches that go right into Lake Erie. This area lives through all four seasons throughout the year, and serves as a family-friendly location since there’s something fun for everyone. Presque Isle is home to two lighthouses and the iconic Bicentennial Tower housed on Dobbin’s Landing. When not at the sandy beaches, step out and enjoy the many museums, shopping, fine dining experiences, bike trails, and the famous Presque Isle Downs & Casino. With many lodging options available, you can reserve a room from $60-$100 a night!

Allie Duda

Point Park

Allison (Allie) Duda is a sophomore Mass Communications major. She loves all aspects in the media, and hopes to dabble in all of it someday. In her free time, she enjoys going to museums, doing freelance photography work, spending time with loved ones, shopping, and watching tv/films. Check out her website at www.allisonduda.wordpress.com