This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

There’s no hiding from it anymore; finals week is just around the corner, and for those of you who haven’t experienced a college finals week yet, the fear of the unexpected is enough to drive you wild. This might be the peak of your stress levels in college life, but you can find ways to alleviate your stress. Here are some helpful pointers to get you by during finals and all semester long!

• Get organized

De-cluttering your stuff and knowing where everything is will decrease your stress tremendously. Nothing makes you panic quite like losing an important handout from class, or not being able to find your favorite jeans. Do everything from color-coding, to planning ahead, following a set schedule, placing your work in binders and folders, and keeping a clean space!

• Take good notes

I know it sounds repetitive, but trust me when I say that this will help you out in the long-run. By taking thorough notes, you will not only gain more knowledge to help create a “A”-worthy assignment, but you will also save yourself a lot of precious time when your assignments start to build up towards mid-terms and finals. Listen attentively in class so you understand the main points- those are what you’ll want to jot down. Nine times out of ten, if your professors write it on the board, they want you to write it down as well!

[pagebreak]

• Develop good study habits

Get to know your learning style first. Are you a visual learner, or do you prefer lectures? Whatever it may be, create study habits that revolve around how you retain information best. If you’re a visual learner, make flashcards or draw diagrams in your notes. If you learn better from hearing lectures, record your professor during class (with their permission). Another trick is to try explaining what you’re learning to someone else- if you can teach it, that’s how you know you understand it.

• Take some time for yourself

Remember not to overextend yourself. Taking a little time to relax and gather your thoughts will help you to stay more focused when you are working on assignments or projects. Do what makes you feel good! Exercise, take a nap, have a snack, take a walk, go socialize, or just simply meditate. After you recharge, you’ll feel refreshed and ready to take college by storm!

• Believe you can do it

The most important thing to remember is that positivity is key. It might seem tempting to give up when things get tough, but if you push yourself and stay positive, you can achieve anything! Once it is all over, the feeling of that weight being lifted off of your shoulders will feel amazing, promise

Allie Duda

Point Park

Allison (Allie) Duda is a sophomore Mass Communications major. She loves all aspects in the media, and hopes to dabble in all of it someday. In her free time, she enjoys going to museums, doing freelance photography work, spending time with loved ones, shopping, and watching tv/films. Check out her website at www.allisonduda.wordpress.com