jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Starbucks – A Waste of Your Buck

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

If you love Starbucks, prepare to get offended. It seems everyone loves Starbucks, but there are a few reasons I think you should find other places to spend your hard-earned bucks.

First of all, the company purposefully over-roasts and burns their beans, hence the overly-bitter taste. Although they created a blonde roast for those who couldn’t stomach the taste of their original roast, it seems that if Starbucks would have just roasted their beans normally in the first place, there wouldn’t be an issue. Starbucks complicates many things in the coffee world.

For example, the macchiato. A traditional Italian macchiato is espresso with a layer of foamed milk on the top. A Starbucks macchiato is far from this, including caramel drizzle, vanilla syrup, espresso, and steamed milk, transforming it into more of a latte type beverage.

Starbucks has cultivated a totally new coffee industry, but maybe not for the better. In areas like the South Side with small coffee shops such as the Beehive and Delanie’s, why support a large corporation such as Starbucks? Especially since Starbucks is highly overpriced. Small businesses have caring staff members and are more unique, making your coffee drinking experience more special.

So, if you’re reading this, cut back on the daily trip to Starbucks and find a new fave, you’ll save money and support local businesses!

Also, if you go to the Starbucks in Market Square, you should totally visit Nicholas Coffee and Tea Co., it’s my favorite coffee shop and the staff is the best!

Rebekah Mohrmann is a Senior Sports, Arts, and Entertainment Management major and Multimedia minor at Point Park University. You can find her on Instagram and Twitter at @rebekahxmarie.