St. Paddy’s Parade Brings Excitment to Downtown Pittsburgh

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

This article was written by Kayla Belovich

For Ailen Ortiz, the best remembrance of the annual drunken street ball was watching three young women trying to drag their drunken obnoxious friend out of Market Square.Olga Herrera didn’t realize how difficult it was going to be to get from Mt. Washington to Lawrence Hall where she could meet her friends for the annual St. Patrick’s Day parade.More than 200,000 people attended this annual event amidst sunny skies and unseasonably warm temperatures that brought the regular assortment of Irish in their green get-ups. Many with glasses in hand and despite the normal assortment of drunken ramblers, a parade that went off with nearly a hitch.“I have never seen someone that intoxicated in public, it was a scary thing to see and I did not know how to handle the situation,” Ortiz stated.One of the largest St. Patrick’s Day celebration in the United States included bagpipes, kilts, and step-dancing.  The celebration lasted from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m, where many people started out watching the parade but then made their way to Market Square. This is where she saw the whole incident grow. It was stated this encounter started out as a verbal confrontation. It then grew to something bigger when the teenage boy spit into the cop’s face. The cop then grew the boy out of Market Square and went into Chipotle to clean off his face and glasses in the restroom.Ortiz went to Market Square after she finished watching the parade. That is where she saw a highly intoxicated female. This female was falling all over the place and would not listen to her friends. The friends then got mad with having to deal with her. They picked her up and carried her outside of Market Square.Herrera woke up at 8:50 a.m. to start her journey to get ready for the parade, she was done getting ready at 9:30 a.m. She then started her walk to the incline. By the time she walked to the corner of Wood st. and Boulevard of the Allies at 9:50 a.m. she noticed she could not make it across Boulevard of the Allies because the parade passes through that area. The cop then told her she had to walk up to Smithfield and cross there. This inconvenience caused her to be late to her friends dorm and then late to the parade.

Lexie Mikula is senior Mass Communications major at Point Park University from Harrisburg, PA. Lexie held the position of Campus Correspondent and contributing editor-in-chief of HC Point Park from May 2014 - May 2016. In addition to social journalism and media, she enjoys rainy days in the city, dogs with personality, watching The Goonies with her five roommates (and HC teammates!), and coffee... copious amounts of coffee.