The Secrets For Dressing Cute Vs. Trashy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

Spring and summer are two seasons where clothes are practically optional. Sometimes, girls tend to take it overboard and wear things that don’t leave much to the imagination! Here are a few cardinal rules & tips for keeping your warm-weather wardrobe classy and cute rather than trashy this summer:

• Crop tops- this is a trend that can be fabulous when worn the right way, so avoid the crop tops that are too revealing and wear styles that are flattering to your body shape. Make sure you pair your crop tops with high-waisted bottoms like shorts or jeans.
  • Shorts- the key to looking cute and not trashy with shorts is to play it safe. In this case, less is not more. Stick to materials that aren’t see-through, keep covered, and ensure that your “cheeks” are as well!
  • Wedges- a cute way to be casually dressy, wedges are the perfect shoe for any occasion! The problem with wedges happens when girls wear them with short shorts and have too much going on with their outfit. Wedges are sometimes simple, but patterns can ruin them, so know the difference.
  • Gold jewelry- everyone loves gold accessories, but before you walk out the door, be sure that you don’t look like a gypsy! Silver is a little more muted, but gold will make an outfit pop fast. Go for simpler styles of gold to avoid overdoing it.
  • Jumpsuits- this retro fashion is fun, but it’s essential to find one that fits your body type. The stereotypical jumpsuit body is tall and skinny, but we promise there is a jumpsuit design for everyone! When searching for that properly fitting jumpsuit, keep in mind that it should look good with heels and flatters your midsection. 
Sophomore transfer from the best chapter- Point ParkNow at Robert Morris U (looking to start a new chapter)Member of Delta Zeta SororityPublic Relations/Advertising