This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

I once had someone tell me they believed in equal rights but wouldn’t identify as a “feminist.” Instead, they chose to refer to themselves as an “equalist.” At first, I thought nothing too much of it until I realized the stigma that comes with labelling yourself a “feminist.”  It’s a word embedded in history and controversy.  

Women like Susan B. Anthony and Gloria Steinem didn’t exactly sit and wait for this change of equality to happen.  They took action and had many trying to tear them down.  Had they just accepted society as it was, we wouldn’t have many of the rights we have today.  We might not even have a voice.  They recognized that in order for the world to progress, we all deserved equal rights and to be treated as humans.  I wouldn’t say today’s feminism is too different.  The question is, though, why are we still afraid of the word?

One commonly used explanation is that, it stresses advancing women “too much.”  Some believe that it’s calling for the domination of the male species.  Men have dominated this patriarchal society for centuries, so how is asking for some basic civil rights such a bad thing? I think every woman wants to see to our own advancement, but it can be scary.  We’ve been so used to the traditions of our own culture that change, no matter how good, is looked at with fear and disdain.

Feminism has never been about only women!  The women’s movement was actually heavily involved with the abolition of slavery.  They gave speeches in front of mixed crowds, which was very rare.  When criticized for fighting for the freedom of the enslaved, they continued to carry on with the endorsement of Frederick Douglass.  

Today’s feminism continues its inclusivity.  Feminists advocate for the rights and advancement of the LGBTQA+ community and racial and religious minorities.  We’re all still advocating for the equality of women, but also the equality of EVERYONE.

A new form of activism has emerged—“equalism.”  That sounds like an interesting and inclusive word, right?  To some, it may, but it’s actually pretty problematic.

Equalism is missing the point.  Identifying as one completely ignores the differences between the genders, sexualities, and races.  These differences are important and highlighting them will advance us in the strive for equality. The reason as to why the movement is called “feminism” is to advocate for the equality of the underprivileged in a patriarchal society.  

In the patriarchal society that has existed for centuries, women have always been the oppressed.  This may come as a shock, but we are STILL oppressed.  There are countries in which women aren’t allowed to vote or speak.  That is heavily witnessed in “underdeveloped” countries, but we are fighting for them and they are fighting for themselves.  Oppression is still going on in this country.  States have actually voted to deny anti-discrimination laws.  So, unless you’re a privileged straight cis white guy, good luck.  

We have struggled with, and still struggle with rape, sexism, and discrimination to name a few.  We have to fight and use the voice that historic women gave us.  

Truth be told, people aren’t labelling themselves a feminist because the connotation scares them.  They are so put off by something that may be seen as controversial but beneficial.  The biggest reason, however, is that, they are afraid of going against the social norm that is rooted in a patriarchal society.  I mean, who would want to be linked to something that fights for the same rights as men?! Crazy, right?

It’s time to end this stigma and come out and admit that we’re all feminists.  It’s going to be weird at first because it’s heavy.  For as heavy a topic it may very well be, we owe it to the progression of society.  We owe it to the oppressed.  We owe it to ourselves.

Lauren O'Connor is a sophomore at Point Park University. She is majoring in Public Relations. She is a self-proclaimed social media addict and can't get enough of reality TV shows. Her favorite topics of discussion are pop music and politics.
Lexie Mikula is senior Mass Communications major at Point Park University from Harrisburg, PA. Lexie held the position of Campus Correspondent and contributing editor-in-chief of HC Point Park from May 2014 - May 2016. In addition to social journalism and media, she enjoys rainy days in the city, dogs with personality, watching The Goonies with her five roommates (and HC teammates!), and coffee... copious amounts of coffee.