The Return of Breaking Benjamin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

Breaking Benjamin has faced its fair share of battles and hardships in the bands’ 17 year history.  The Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania natives and creators of massive hits (and rock anthems of our middle school years) such as “Diary of Jane”, “So Cold”, and “I Will Not Bow” initially went on hiatus in 2010 after leading a very successful musical career. Front-man Benjamin Burnley battled Wernicke–Korsakoff Syndrome, a brain disorder often caused by alcoholism and chronic alcohol abuse. In 2011 during the hiatus, Burnley filed a lawsuit against former members, bassist Mark Klepaski and guitarist Aaron Fincke, for remixing the band’s popular song “Blow me Away” without his permission while he was recovering from his illness. Burnley won the suit, gaining sole rights to the name of the band. Despite assurance from Burnley that the band was not breaking up, with all of the tiring legal, lineup, and medical issues, it appeared to many Breaking Benjamin fans as though the band was through.

However, much to the delight of the fans, on August 19th, 2014, the band announced via their official Facebook page that they had indeed reformed and were going to be working on new music. A quintet, the new lineup currently consists of Burnley on lead vocals (and the only remaining original member), guitarist Keith Wallen (previously of Adelitas Way), guitarist Jasen Rauch (previously of Christian rock band Red), drummer Shaun Foist (previously of Picture Me Broken), and bassist Aaron Bruch (previously of OurAfter and Forever Oeuvre).

Since the band’s official return from hiatus, they have begun writing a new album, performed a small number of acoustic and small shows, announced a headlining national tour for April – May 2015 along with a series of music festival appearances, and have announced the name and release date of their upcoming album, “Dark Before Dawn”, which is to be released on June 23rd, 2015. The first single off of the album, “Failure” was released March 23rd, and if it’s any indication of the rest of the album, is everything and more fans could hope for from a Breaking Benjamin comeback.

So listen up everyone – Breaking Benjamin is back full force and ready to take the rock world by storm once more, proving that while they can be bent, they cannot be broken.

Breaking Benjamin’s new lineup includes (from left) guitarist Keith Wallen, bassist Aaron Bruch, lead singer and guitarist Benjamin Burnley, guitarist Jasen Rauch and drummer Shaun Foist. 

Breaking Benjamin’s newly released single “Failure” off of  upcoming album “Dawn to Dark” set to release 6/23/15.

Stay updated on Breaking Benjamin here:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BreakingBenjaminTwitter: @BreakingbenjOfficial Webstie: Breakingbenjamin.com 

Check out their upcoming tour dates here:

4/17/15 – Pharr Events Center – Pharr, TX4/19/15 – Concrete Street Amphitheatre – Corpus Christi, TX4/21/15 – Iron City – Birmingham, AL4/22/15 – The Tabernacle – Atlanta, GA4/24/15 – WXTB Rockfest @ Amalie Arena – Tampa, FL4/25/15 – Fort Rock Festival @ Jetblue Park – Fort Myers, FL4/26/15 – Welcome to Rockville @ Metropolitan Park – Jacksonville, FL4/28/15 – Soul Kitchen – Mobile, AL4/29/15 – The Civic Theatre – New Orleans, LA5/2/15 – Track 29 – Chattanooga, TN5/3/15 – Carolina Rebellion @ Charlotte Motor Speedway – Concord, NC5/13/15 – Stage AE – Pittsburgh, PA5/15/15 through 5/17/15 – Rock on the Range @ Crew Stadium – Columbus, OH5/19/15 – Orbit Room – Grand Rapids, MI5/20/15 – Egyptian Room – Indianapolis, IN5/22/15 through 5/24/15 – Rocklahoma – Pryor, OK5/23/15 – Pointfest @ Hollywood Casino Amphitheatre – St. Louis, MO

Casey McGaw

Point Park

Social Media Manager - Her Campus at Point Park Casey McGaw is a second semester senior at Point Park University hoping to pursue a career within sports and social media. Casey is an unashamed Harry Potter enthusiast (#TeamRavenclaw) and enjoys long, romantic walks to the fridge. She hopes to make a positive impact on the world around her through social justice advocacy and good puns. And as a social media professional, she is eager to share her "GIFs" with the world. 
Haleigh Kopinski is a senior Creative Writing major with a minor in Psychology at Point Park University. Haleigh started out as a contributing writer and photographer for Her Campus Point Park and is now a Co-Campus Correspondent. When she's not writing or hanging out with her boyfriend she enjoys going to Pirates games, taking pictures, drawing, eating at new places, and going to concerts. She works at Olive Garden while she is home from school and when it's not taking up her summer time she loves boating on the Allegheny River. She is currently in the process of planning a cross-country road trip which will become a featurelength documentary. You can learn more about the trip at facebook.com/getbornfilm or indiegogo.com/projects/get-born/x/6924599#home If you like reading her pieces be sure to follow her at twitter.com/haleighkopinski or xfrankthetankx.tumblr.com to see some personal wit.