This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

Growing up in a small town in southern Kentucky, falling in love with country music was the natural thing to do. So many of my favorite artists come from the Bluegrass State; Loretta Lynn, Billy Ray Cyrus, Wynonna and Naomi Judd, Patty Loveless, and John Michael Montgomery all grew up in Kentucky.  Montgomery Gentry was another one of those favorites for me.

On Friday, September 8, 2017, country music lost one of its finest. Troy Gentry, half of the duo Montgomery Gentry, was killed in a helicopter crash in New Jersey prior to the duo’s concert that was to take place that night.

I always had a soft spot for Troy Gentry and the fact that he was from Lexington, one of my favorite cities in Kentucky. The duo has a song titled “My Town”, which has always reminded me of home. The music video shows scenes from downtown Lexington as well as downtown Perryville, Kentucky. When I’m homesick, I watch the video for “My Town” for comfort.

Growing up many of my childhood memories involved Montgomery Gentry, including one of my favorite memories with my childhood best friend. On a fieldtrip in second grade, my best friend and I started to sing the Montgomery Gentry song “If You Ever Stop Loving Me” on the bus. By the time we made it to our destination, the entire bus full of our classmates was singing the song along with us.

This past fall I was able to fulfill a childhood dream of mine when I saw Montgomery Gentry live at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, Tennessee. It was one of the most amazing shows I have ever been to. I am now so thankful that I got to experience seeing them live.

The country music world will be mourning the loss of Troy Gentry for a long time to come. Even though Montgomery Gentry fans won’t get much more new music from them, we will always cherish the music that we have always loved.

You will be missed greatly Troy Gentry.