This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

There are three topics that are typically avoided in conversation: money, politics and vaginas. Eve Ensler’s The Vagina Monologues is able to provide insight through the characters’ take on orgasms, shaving, moaning – things that aren’t typically discussed at the dining table. The power of the play is that the various anecdotal monologues are able to connect the audience, no matter what their biology consists of.

The performance took place at 6 pm on March 8th, International Women’s Day. All of the proceeds from the event benefited Pittsburgh Action Against Rape, which assists victims of sexual abuse and works to end sexual violence in the community. Melissa Barnhill is a PhD student at Point Park who produced V-DAY 2019 at the University as part of her practicum.

The Vagina Monologues opened up with five company members on the stage, the remaining eight spread out throughout the theatre. There was a minute of deafening silence. Finally, a voice arose. “I bet you’re worried.”

There is a fear associated with what is typically seen as taboo, but through this initial acknowledgement of the uncomfortableness the mood seemed to shift. Throughout the opening scene, all cast members gradually made their way onto the stage. All were clothed in primarily black colors but with pops of pink – from fishnets to hair bows.

My favorite monologue was titled “The Little Coochi Snorcher That Could.” Multiple characters explained how their vagina became associated with fear because of childhood memories.

It would be interesting if in the future Eve Ensler made an updated version of The Vagina Monologues that would allow more inclusion of females beyond those who have the biological parts. The creation of the play came from over 200 interviews with women. If she were to interview more women in today’s society, she could be able to update it in a way that is a more inclusive representation.

After leaving the performance I felt immensely empowered. I said to my friends later that evening “Maybe we should start talking about our vaginas more.” Without inspiration from The Vagina Monologues, I don’t think that statement would have left my mouth.

Emily Sjoberg

Point Park '22

A Leslie Knope wannabe. I like buffalo cauliflower and Frank Ocean.
Blogger and Photographer with a passion for all things art and pop culture! Future journalist for Rolling Stone Magazine and hoping to travel the world! Follow me on Twitter and Instagram @emmaechristley, check out my photography on Instagram @emmachristleyphoto. Also, I have a blog! http://emmaelizabethblog.weebly.com/