This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.
Attention all Point Park bands, singer-songwriters or any musical talent: Your shot at a big break might just be closer than you thought!

Point Park has just opened up it’s own record label and recording studio, Pioneer Records, courtesy of the university’s Sports, Arts and Entertainment Management (SAEM) program. The studio is located at Red Caiman Media, which is across the street from Consol Energy Center in downtown PGH!

However, the opening of the label and studio isn’t the only cool thing…Pioneer Records is hosting a Point Park Student only, contest where one lucky winner will win a two semester long recording contract with the label. All students have to do is record their own demo first!

Students can submit their demo CD by Friday, October 3rd at 4 pm to Ed Traversari, associate professor for the SAEM program, in his office, which is located on the 11th floor of the West Penn building.

Once the deadline has rolled around, a panel of surprise celebrity judges will pick the winner of the contest.  The winner will win recording time in the new studio, 300 copies of their new CD and a record release party held here on Point Park’s campus!

So to all of you talented musicians, get recording and don’t forget to submit your demo CD! You could be the lucky winner of the Pioneer Records recording contest. Good luck! 

Sydney D. Schaefer is a journalism/photojournalism double major student at Point Park University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Lexie Mikula is senior Mass Communications major at Point Park University from Harrisburg, PA. Lexie held the position of Campus Correspondent and contributing editor-in-chief of HC Point Park from May 2014 - May 2016. In addition to social journalism and media, she enjoys rainy days in the city, dogs with personality, watching The Goonies with her five roommates (and HC teammates!), and coffee... copious amounts of coffee.