An Open Letter to My Favorite Team

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

For many years of my life, I fought against liking sports. Both of my parents tried in earnest to help me understand, and hopefully care, about the silly men in tight pants passing a ball back and forth. But I just couldn’t. The points counting system didn’t make a bit of sense and all of the hysterics over the Super Bowl when there was no way the other team would be able to tie the game with 7 seconds left, boggled my mind. That was January 2009.

Fast forward 6 months to June. We were on vacation in Virginia when the Pittsburgh Penguins became Stanley Cup Champions for the first time since the 90s. I had fallen asleep before the end of the game and it still amazes them that I didn’t wake up as they cheered and almost ran down the hotel hallway screaming in joy. The next day as my parents wore their Pens gear around Williamsburg, Virginia, I will never forget the number of smiles and nods they got. I knew the city of Pittsburgh would be losing its collective mind, but I never understood until then how far the pride spread. I still was too unbothered by the whole concept of sports to care about the win, but what an amazing time to be a Pittsburgher.

After that win, I began to pay a little more attention each season. I knew my mother had succeeded in her mission when I found myself defending them against a boy in my homeroom freshman year who was a *cringes* Flyers fan. One day, my parents told me about a young newly drafted player who was close to my age named Olli Maatta. My mom joked that he was cute and that he would make a good son-in-law, but I was intrigued by his good promise as a player. But it seemed before I knew it, he was out long-term for his cancer treatment, then he had the mumps, then his shoulder injuries. It would be a couple of years before I would see him healthy and playing well again.

From my first Pens game in November 2014

It was 2015 when he finally got back onto the ice and that following June, the Penguins won another Stanley Cup. And I will never forget the joy that erupted in Pittsburgh that Sunday night and I got to be a part of it. Even in my town of Butler, fans rushed to the nearest Dick’s Sporting Goods at 11:30 on a school night just to celebrate and get brand new commemorative shirts.

We partied at the Point all summer long and nothing could have spoiled that celebration. The party continued as we became Back-to-Back Stanley Cup Champions the following year. It is because of this sense of community, pride and pure joy that I saw after the Penguins won their most recent consecutive Cups that made me love this city. Everytime I go to a game, I am so overwhelmed with love for this team and this city who made me feel like one of its own.

When I left my home in Butler to move Downtown for college, I cried. Who wouldn’t have cried leaving home for the first time? But as soon as I saw that beautiful skyline that no other city in the world can boast about, I stopped crying. Because I realized this is the same city that I have seen my favorite bands in, the same city that made me fall in love with live theatre, and the same city that my Pittsburgh Penguins play in.

Now I have found my people that I watch hockey games with on the 4th floor lounge and I have found my friends who admittedly don’t know hockey but have asked me to teach them. I went from asking my mom every question I could possibly think of to being tasked with teaching others. And it is a task I take on with great pride.

From the Pens vs Oilers game a few weeks ago. Peep the Maatta jersey.

Not only did the Penguins make me a hockey fan, but they made me a Pittsburgher. And for that I am so grateful. You can say whatever you like about them, but this is my team and I will love them forever.

Blogger and Photographer with a passion for all things art and pop culture! Future journalist for Rolling Stone Magazine and hoping to travel the world! Follow me on Twitter and Instagram @emmaechristley, check out my photography on Instagram @emmachristleyphoto. Also, I have a blog! http://emmaelizabethblog.weebly.com/
Rebekah Mohrmann is a Senior Sports, Arts, and Entertainment Management major and Multimedia minor at Point Park University. You can find her on Instagram and Twitter at @rebekahxmarie.