New Kid on the Block: Alexandria Snow

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

Alex Snow just started her time at Point Park after spending her freshman year at her hometown college of Slippery Rock. Find out why this awesome creative writing major chose Point Park to continue her education: 

What made you choose Point Park as your transfer school?

My best friend from high school chose Point Park and when I took my year off between my first year and this semester, I visited her and her roommates a lot. Those visits allowed me to meet a lot of the people that go here and to get a feel for downtown Pittsburgh like I never had before and I fell in love. So, when the New Year came around and my mom insisted I start looking into going back to school Point Park was my first choice.

What was your major at Slippery Rock and what is your new major?

When I was choosing schools for college I chose Slippery Rock for its Education program. From a young age I wanted to be a teacher, but the more college level classes I took focusing on my major, Secondary English Education, the more I realized that I didn’t want to be a teacher. Before I dropped out I actually switched to English literature, film and cultural studies. Over the course of my gap year I decided that if I was going to go back, I was going to major in what I love, which is writing. So I applied I entered into the English and Creative Writing major here at Point Park.

How long have you been writing and what type of things do you enjoy writing about? 

I feel like I’ve always written. It’s my favorite form of expression. I really enjoy writing fictional stories. I’ve started many books but have yet to finish one. I have on science fiction piece on Zombies and another coming of age novel featuring mental illness awareness. This semester I’m actually taking a nonfiction workshop with [Professor] Karen Dwyer and I find that this type of writing is very soothing and fun. I can discover different factors about the art of writing and myself through the workshop.

What is your favorite thing about the creative writing program so far?

Every creative writing major I have met so far is super nice and helpful. Every professor I have met is incredibly helpful and encouraging, which is something that I never got from Slippery Rock.

What do you like the most about Point Park?

Point Park is everything that Slippery Rock wasn’t for me. Its small and friendly. Everyone here accepts me in a way that the students at my old campus never did. Its silly, but I just really like it here.

Coming out of a very rural area and living in the city for the first time, what is your favorite thing about living in Pittsburgh? 

Well, I can walk everywhere. That was never an option where I’m from. Living here makes me feel like I’m actually living my life for the first time. Its always rainy in Pittsburgh but there is just something about all the people and the sound, and the city that makes me happy to be here.

Any advice for any incoming transfers next semester? 

Take advantage of all the things you can at Point Park. The teachers are there to help you. The students are in the same boat as you are, don’t be afraid to let yourself experience college.

Lexie Mikula is senior Mass Communications major at Point Park University from Harrisburg, PA. Lexie held the position of Campus Correspondent and contributing editor-in-chief of HC Point Park from May 2014 - May 2016. In addition to social journalism and media, she enjoys rainy days in the city, dogs with personality, watching The Goonies with her five roommates (and HC teammates!), and coffee... copious amounts of coffee.