Need a good cry? Milk & Honey can help

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

Milk & Honey is a book full of poems by Rupi Kaur. It is split into four sections: The Hurting, The Loving, The Breaking, and The Healing. Each section has beautiful poetry related to its theme. On the back of the book she writes:

“this is the journey of

surviving through poetry

this is the blood sweat tears

of twenty-one years

this is my heart

in your hands

this is

the hurting

the loving

the breaking

the healing”

I bought this book and read it in the same night and then again the next day. I’m suggesting it to all of my friends and family,because it is just that good. It is poetry put into today’s relatable love issues, without the entire Shakespeare aspect. Between the ideas of “talking,” casual sex, and nobody ever getting asked out on a date anymore, our entire generation needs a read like this to help us realize we’re not crazy. She writes about rape, first love, self confidence, feminism, and so much more. This book is such a beautiful read and will move anybody. I really can’t sell this book enough, go to the closest book store and purchase this book and discover the beauty of Kaur’s words!

Here are a few examples of her poetry if you haven’t already seen it:

Do you have a favorite poet? Tell us who @HCPointPark!

Abi Gildea

Point Park

Lexie Mikula is senior Mass Communications major at Point Park University from Harrisburg, PA. Lexie held the position of Campus Correspondent and contributing editor-in-chief of HC Point Park from May 2014 - May 2016. In addition to social journalism and media, she enjoys rainy days in the city, dogs with personality, watching The Goonies with her five roommates (and HC teammates!), and coffee... copious amounts of coffee.