This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

Anyone who knows me knows that I listen to almost anything when it comes to music. I enjoy anything from pop to alternative to Broadway musicals, as long as it’s got a good beat and catchy lyrics. Despite this, when it comes to concerts I typically stick to what I’m used to. But this past week I was given the opportunity to attend Thrival music festival here in Pittsburgh as media, and there was no way I was giving up a chance to see The Chainsmokers for free.

(Images courtesy of Rebekah Mohrmann)

My friend (and fellow HC writer!) Brittany and I got to the festival location around seven, so we would have enough time to look around and get a good spot before The Chainsmokers came on at 10:30. After watching a little bit of some other sets and exploring the food trucks and vendor booths we headed up to the stage around nine. Chrvches was performing on the second stage at the time, so while the stage we were at was being set up we made friends with the people around us.

I expected the area to get much more crowded as time went on, but I did not expect to end up as cramped as we did. No matter how full it got, people continued to attempt to shove their way in front of us and between us, despite the fact that there was nowhere to go. There was even a minor fight in front of us. An extremely intoxicated guy tried shoving his way to the front row and another man punched him in the back for it! By time The Chainsmokers were about to come on, I was plastered between the people in front and back of me.

(Images courtesy of Rebekah Mohrmann)

Not only were we all nearly on top of each other, but most of the concert goers were intoxicated in some manner. Just a few people over from us was a group of people passing around a joint, and the air around us was filled with cigarette smoke and the smell of alcohol. It was so bad that the new friends we had made next to us ended up having to leave. Not hard to say that this is not what I was expecting.

Luckily we didn’t have to wait much longer for the show to begin. We ended up just a mere four rows from the stage, but being located directly in front of the speakers definitely caused some permanent damage to our ears (I could barely here for 30 minutes afterward). On top of that it was so hot from being so cramped and from the fire shooters they had on stage that I must have sweat off ten pounds.

Despite all this, in the end it was 100% worth it. The Chainsmokers lit up the stage, and even though I don’t listen to EDM music often, I was jamming out as hard as anyone else. It was definitely a once in a lifetime experience, and I’m so glad that I stuck it out and stayed for the concert. It may be a while until I attend another EDM show, but I can assure you that this was definitely not my last.

Rebekah Mohrmann is a Senior Sports, Arts, and Entertainment Management major and Multimedia minor at Point Park University. You can find her on Instagram and Twitter at @rebekahxmarie. 
Junior public relations and advertising major @ PPU | hockey enthusiast, crazed cat lady, lover of life, spontaneous world traveler | Forever a Naked Brothers Band fan & the future BFF of Gregory Polanco.