Melanie Martinez v. Halsey: Who is the Next Pop Princess?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

If you follow pop music, you probably have heard of these two new artists, Melanie Martinez and Halsey. Both have a huge online following and are racking up streaming points, Vevo views and album sales.

Melanie’s debut album Cry Baby recently just peaked at #6 on the Billboard Top 200 and Halsey’s album, Badlands, just debuted at #2 . Melanie and Halsey are both going on tour this fall and are making killer videos; however, who is the new princess of pop? Just like Britney vs Christina, Lady Gaga vs Katy Perry and Miley Cyrus vs Demi Lovato, Halsey and Melanie are both in the running to be the new princess of pop, but only one will reign supreme.  Who will it be? Let’s take a look.

Melanie Martinez:

The New York born singer first appeared on our TV screens in 2012 on NBC’s The Voice. She auditioned with the ultimate Queen of Pop, Britney Spears’, hit single “Toxic.”  Adam Levine and America as a whole fell in love with her and watched her week after week perform fantastic covers and display a wicked sense of fashion. Unfortunately, she did not win, but that did not stop her. Melanie was signed to Atlantic Records, and released her debut EP Dollhouse in the summer of 2014. The response was immediately positive and she went back into the studio to record her first solo debut album. The result was the dark-twisted pop album, Cry Baby. The album takes tones from Lana Del Rey, Lorde, and Lady Gaga. It’s almost as addictive as candy, but without cavities. It received rave reviews and landed a worldwide tour for the new pop star. Take a listen to Melanie’s hit “Pity Party”.

Halsey:

Mysterious, interesting, and different; the three perfect adjectives to describe Halsey. The 20 year old was first discovered on YouTube, where she would post videos of covers and original songs. In 2014, Halsey uploaded her song “Ghost” onto Soundcloud. The song absolutely blew up. In the same year she was signed to Astralwerks Records and she started to record her debut album. Badlands came out this past week with sales of 115,000. This made Halsey have the second largest opening sales in 2015 for a female, just behind Meghan Trainor. This feat was huge for her considering that she has no radio play at the moment. Her fanbase is huge and continues to grow. Her single “New Americana” is gaining steam as well. Take a listen to this hit single here:

The winner? You decide! Are you feeling the twisted playhouse world of Melanie or would you rather see the new ‘Americana’ with Halsey? Whomever you choose, these two ladies are showing audiences that you can be fearless with music, fashion and live shows. You ladies rock!

Brendan Dazen was born June 10th, 1994 in Pittsburgh, Pa. As a child he particapted in such activities as soccer, dance, theater, baseball, and singing. He grew up to love theater and music so much. He even landed a "Best Newcomer" award for Peters Township High School's theater department . He now attends Point Park University for Sports, Arts, and Entertainment Management. He wanted to become a member of HerCampus because he wanted to share his thoughts and ideas of pop culture, music, and fashion with his campus, and hopefully other schools. Brendan has a strong interset in Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus, sunflowers, fashion, adventutres, photography, concerts, and dance. He hopes in the future to be a production manager.
Lexie Mikula is senior Mass Communications major at Point Park University from Harrisburg, PA. Lexie held the position of Campus Correspondent and contributing editor-in-chief of HC Point Park from May 2014 - May 2016. In addition to social journalism and media, she enjoys rainy days in the city, dogs with personality, watching The Goonies with her five roommates (and HC teammates!), and coffee... copious amounts of coffee.