Meet The Fall 2014 Her Campus Point Park Team

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

Name:

Cassi Stovash

Year in school: 

Senior

Major:

Sports, Arts & Entertainment Management

Hometown:

Pittsburgh, PA

Involvement/activities on campus, or cool jobs or internships you have: 

Former Campus Correspondent for HC Point Park, and current Chapter Advisor at HerCampus.com!

1) Why did you join Her Campus? 2) What is your favorite thing about being part of the HC Point Park staff?

My involvement with Her Campus began as a resume builder and grew into so much more! It’s become one of the best parts of my college career & has opened so many doors for me. My favorite thing about being on the HC Point Park staff is watching our organization continue to grow and improve!

Best college memory: 

Definitely getting to attend the Her Campus National Intercollegiette Conference with two other HC Point Park staff members in NYC this summer, as well as being able to interview bands at Vans Warped Tour ’14, including Brian Dales from The Summer Set & the Arn-Horn twins of Courage My Love!

Random/fun fact about yourself: 

I do a pretty spot-on Ace Ventura impression!

Name:

Sydney Schaefer

Year in school: 

Sophomore

Major:

Journalism and Photojournalism (double major)

Hometown: 

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (LET’S GO FLYERS)

Involved with Her Campus Point Park, photo editor/director

Involved with The Globe, Point Park’s student run newspaper, as a writer/photographer

I have a super lame job working weddings until wee hours of the morning during my weekends.

1. I joined Her Campus because I really wanted to get more involved with something having to do with my career at Point Park, and I thought Her Campus was a great place to start

2. I love how laid back everyone on the team is and how everyone gets along

Best college memory: 

I don’t know if I have a “best college memory” because there are just too many to choose from! I’ve loved the time I’ve spent here at Point Park and am really looking forward to the adventures I’ll get myself into during my remaining two and a half years here.

Random/fun fact about yourself:

If I could marry anyone, it would be 1967 George Harrison

Name:

Kevin Malesic

Year in school: 

Freshman

Major:

Sports, Arts, and Entertainment Management

Hometown:

Pittsburgh

I’m in the Honors Student Organization and the SAEM Club. I also work at Forever 21 at Ross Park Mall so come visit!

1) Honestly, my friend Casey convinced me to join. I wasn’t sure if I’d be into it, being a guy and all, but I love it so far!

2) I’ve met so many awesome people that I would have never spoken to if I wasn’t on the HC staff. Everyone is so friendly and it’s like a little family.

Best college memory: 

Stealing back the fern that was rightfully ours… (LH Floor 14 will understand.) #adventureX

Random/fun fact about yourself: 

Fun fact, I was due to be born on New Years’ Day but unfortunately I wasn’t born until two days later on January 3. I could have been the first baby born that year if I was born on time!

Name:

Shayna Mendez

Year in school: 

Sophomore

Major:

Photojournalism

Hometown: 

Kingston, Jamaica

Her Campus, WPPJ and CAB!

I joined Her Campus to hone and gain skills that could benefit me in my chosen career path. My favorite thing about being apart of the HC Point park staff that you get to know people from different majors, gain opportunities to network as well learn from different experiences that we get the opportunity to share with our peers.

Best college memory:

I don’t have one yet, I have many that I would consider favorites but none I could consider my best since my memories are still in the making.

Name:

Casey McGaw

Year in school: 

Freshman

Major:

Hometown:

Harrisburg

I’m in the SAEM club and Her Campus. I currently have a few job shadows set up with Drusky Entertainment. At home I work at a restaurant called Big Woody’s Beach Bar and Grill as a hostess and food runner.

I joined Her Campus because I learned about it over the summer and it seemed like it would be something I would really like to be a part of. My favorite thing is everything really. I like feeling like I’m contributing something to an actual organization and seeing my name and stuff I’ve written online, and everybody in HC is really nice.

Best college memory: 

I’ve only been in college a little more than a month, but so far my favorite memory has been going places and doing fun, crazy things with some really good friends on my floor. I also got to go see my Giants win at the Pirates/Giants Wildcard game October 1st, that was awesome.

Random/fun fact about yourself:

I am in an acoustic duo with my Dad, and we play at bars, restaurants, and private events around Harrisburg when I’m home.

Name:

Anna Rigatti

Year in school: 

Sophomore

Major:

Cinema Production

Hometown:

Bethel Park, PA

I usually attend the Thursday night JPH screenings. And something totally unrelated is that I worked as a camp counselor this summer!

1. I joined Her Campus after talking to Cassi at the activities fair at the beginning of the school year. She made it seem like a fun way to get my voice out to the students of Point Park.

2. My favorite thing about being a part of the HC Point Park team is the fun we have at the meetings and the enthusiasm everyone shares.

Best college memory: *

My best college memory was participating in the film festivals held by JPH last year. I made wonderful friends and created some great memories.

Random/fun fact about yourself: 

A random/fun fact about myself is the cafe workers are slowly learning who I am because I only order one, apparently weird, sandwich.

Name:

Brendan Dazen

Year in school: 

Sophomore

Major:

Sports, Arts and Entertainment Management

Hometown:

Pittsburgh

Her Campus, CAB, Fashion Chic, Job: Bath and Body Works

I joined Her Campus because I loved reading the articles last year and also wanted to write my own. My favorite thing about being part of the HerCampus is the fabulous members!

Best college memory: 

Making Dean’s List both semesters of freshman year!

Random/fun fact about yourself: 

I have done hip hop dancing for 8 years.

Name: 

Julz Kooser

Year in school: 

Freshman

Major: 

Photojournalism

Hometown: 

New Castle

Her Campus, Photojournalism Club, Photo Collective Club, and I work at a photography studio called Picture People

I wanted to have a reason to do photojournalism at least once a week. I wanted to push myself to practice as often as I could. I love having the opportunity to publish my work, especially my photos.

Best college memory: 

I don’t really have any just yet, but I’d have to say my favorite memory is when AJ McGarvey, Lauren Konwick and I stayed up all night just to go to the bagel shop and The Point super early the next morning.

Random/fun fact about yourself:

I LOVE tattoos and piercings.

Name:

Rebekah Mohrmann

Year in school: 

Freshman

Major:

Hometown:

Prompton, PA

Honors Program, SAEM club, and Her Campus!

I joined Her Campus because it looked like fun and I was really interested in working with social media for the club and expanding into journalism. My favorite part about being on the HC staff is how it feels like a family. I’ve met some amazing people through the club and made some great friends!

Best college memory:

A couple weeks ago my roommate and I bought last minute (as in day of) tickets to Ed Sheeran in Cleveland, and it was the best concert I’ve ever been to! Not only did we have amazing seats, but I had such a great time!

Random/fun fact about yourself: 

I was in the Gator Bowl halftime show with my marching band my Junior year of high school!

Name:

Lauren Albring

Year in school: 

Sophomore

Major:

Acting major with Musical Theatre minor

Hometown:

Pittsburgh

Theatre club, intern at Quantum Theatre

I joined Her Campus because I’ve been a longtime reader. My favorite thing about being part of the staff is the fun meetings that don’t even feel like meetings.

Best college memory: 

Making out in front of a Snapple vending machine at school. That is how you romance.

Random/fun fact about yourself:

I have over 300 bottles of nail polish…..

Name:

Brittany Bishop

Year in school: 

Freshman

Major:

SAEM

Hometown:

Monaca, PA

Involvement/activities on campus, or cool jobs or internships you have: *

Her Campus & SAEM club

1) My roommate told me about it

2) I love the new people I’ve met & become friends with 

Best college memory: 

Leaving class the second day of school for Ed Sheeran

Random/fun fact about yourself:

I love to meet celebrities & hockey players :)

Name:

Christine Schell

Year in school: 

Senior

Major:

Hometown:

The Burgh!

Social Media Coordinator/Event Planner Strong Women, Strong Girls

Special Events Intern The Andy Warhol Museum

I joined Her Campus to learn more about online blog writing after reading them for years! My favorite part is collaborating and seeing the final products of people that share the same passion.

Best college memory: 

Mac Miller Concert and Halloweekend Sophomore Year, SWSG Events and Commitment Night, Pirates Opening Day, St. Patrick’s Day Parade, Daily hangouts with my roommates

Random/fun fact about yourself: 

I can do a cartwheel with no hands!

Name:

Flannery Joyce

Year in school: 

Sophomore

Major:

Photography

Hometown:

Lawrenceville

Another club I am involved in besides Her Campus is the Photography Collective Club. A cool job that I have is being a dog walker in my neighborhood. I love dogs so the job is perfect for me.

I joined Her Campus because I like to write and take photographs. My favorite thing about being part of the Her Campus Point Park staff is how supportive and encouraging everyone is to each other.

Best college memory: 

My best college memory was freshman year when my friend Emily and I were in the darkroom for the every first time trying to roll our film onto the reels. All you could hear was us cursing from behind the door, because we couldn’t get our film onto the reels.

Random/fun fact about yourself: 

A random/fun fact about myself that no one knows is that I can not bend my thumb on my left hand.

Name:

Meghan Harris

Year in school: 

Senior

Major:

Psychology

Hometown:

Butler, PA

I work at a dog boarding kennel, Sandy Hill Kennels.

I joined because Haleigh told me too. My favorite part is writing the articles.

Best college memory: 

Hanging out with friends.

Random/fun fact about yourself: 

I like elephants.

Name:

Victoria Alexes Mikula

Year in school:

Sophomore

Major:

Photojournalism

Hometown:

Hummelstown, PA

I’m a a co-campus correspondent for Her Campus and the photography apprentice for Enrollment Marketing at Point Park!

Well, I started reading her campus when I was a junior in high school, so when I found out that Cassi was trying to found a chapter at our school, I was so excited to be apart of it. My favorite thing about being apart of the HC staff is working with such a talented staff and getting to take on amazing opportunities with some of my best friends!

Best college memory: 

My best college memory so far has got to be our HC New York trips! I went to Her Conference with my co-CC and our founder Cassi this past July and then again this past weekend for College Fashion Week with more of our staff! We always have the greatest adventures!

Random/fun fact about yourself: 

Spice Up Your Life by the Spice Girls was my ringtone for a VERY long time.

Name: 

Haleigh Kopinski

Year in school:

Senior

Major:

Creative Writing with a minor in Psychology

Hometown:

East Brady, Pennsylvania

Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Point Park.

Radio host for Her Campus’ radio show on Point Park’s radio station, WPPJ.

Server and bartender at the on-campus restaurant, Hundred Wood.

Work-study at the on-campus print shop, Printing Services.

I joined Her Campus because, as a creative writing major, I’ve always loved to write. In school it often becomes tedious when you are always told what to write about and how to write it. Her Campus gave me the freedom to write about what I wanted. The first time I read Her Campus it seemed like a sort of college Cosmopolitan and I immediately knew I had to become a part of it! I have always been interested in editing and becoming a CC has helped me do that as well. My favorite thing about being a part of the staff would be helping others realize they can write, too! A few of the new members who joined were worried that they weren’t going to be able to write an article because they aren’t good at writing essays or writing academically. Seeing new members after get their stories published is so rewarding.

Best college memory:

This is difficult as I’ve done so many amazing things and had so many great opportunities in the four years I’ve been at Point Park. Some of the memories that stick out include: watching the Pirates have a winning season for the first time in my life, going to NYC in July (and again this past week) for Her Campus events, and going to multiple concerts. The best memory so far though, would have to be my two-week long road trip across the United States with my boyfriend and his cousin. We filmed the whole thing and are currently editing it into a feature-length film!

Random/fun fact about yourself: 

When I was about five or six, my mom put me in a beauty pageant called “Mini Miss Riverfest.” They asked me what my favorite food was and I said “cookies.” I lost the pageant, but I won over the crowd.

Name:

Jake Owens

Year in school:

Sophomore

Major:

Photojournalism

Hometown:

Red Lion, PA

Her Campus is my one and only!

I joined Her Campus because I heard our chapter was looking for a male writer. I decided to check it out, and I haven’t looked back since! My favorite part about being on the staff is the fact that I’ve been able to maintain creative freedom and still be published consistently.

Best college memory: 

It’s hard to pick a favorite. College has had a LOT of really great things! I don’t think I can pick just one memory. I can definitely say that my favorite part about college has been (and still is) meeting all different kinds of people! I never would have dreamed I’d make such great friends!

Random/fun fact about yourself: 

I can oink like a pig. It’s the truth.

Name:

Jacqueline Roberts-Kpan

Year in school: 

Sophomore

Major: 

Journalism

Hometown: 

New York City

I am currently a contributing writer for the Her Campus chapter at Point Park University and am still getting acquainted with other clubs on campus as I just moved from NYC last month.

I initially joined Her Campus last year at my previous university, Hofstra University, because I went to a meeting and was hooked once they announced online magazine writing for collegiettes around the country and now globe! I love writing and want to pursue a career in it.

Best college memory: 

One of my best college memories would be the time I participated in a student-organized Carnival, or Bacchanal, as I represented Barbados. I felt like Rihanna when she visited Crop Over in Barbados. I loved my costume and had an amazing time meeting students from different countries and Caribbean islands! I only wished we had some Caribbean food at the festival.

Random/fun fact about yourself:

One random fact about me is I am of Caribbean-African descent, my parents are from Liberia and Barbados with majority of my mother’s family from Panama!

Name: 

Nicolette Kalafatis:

Year in school: 

Sophomore

Major:

Cinema Production

Hometown:

South Park, PA

Writer for Her Campus, and Editor-in-chief of CinemaStilo, the film magazine run by Point Park’s John P. Harris Film Society!

I wanted to join Her Campus because I love writing and was really interested in having a chance to write and get my articles out, without majoring in journalism (I am a journalism minor though!). My favorite thing is that all of the members feel like a family, and it’s opened me up to finding other passions of mine to lead me on my future career path.

Best college memory: 

My best college memory is of when I went to Chicago for Spring Break my freshman year! It was the most amazing trip and has left Chicago in the #1 for my favorite city!

Random/fun fact about yourself:

I can do Spongebob’s laugh!

Cassandra Stovash is a Fall 2015 graduate of the Sports, Arts & Entertainment Management program at Point Park University. She began involvement with Her Campus as a contributing writer at the WVWC chapter, which sparked her passion for the Her Campus mission, and knew she had to bring it to Point Park University when she transferred there in the fall of 2013. After founding the chapter and serving as its editor-in-chief for a year, she moved up the Her Campus ranks to a Chapter Advisor position that's allowed her to work with 15+ chapters across the United States! Being part of Her Campus provided Cassandra with countless opportunities throughout college such as attending Her Conference and College Fashion Week events in New York City. Her most notable highlight was receiving press access at Vans Warped Tour in 2014 & 2015, where she interviewed artists such as Echosmith, Courage My Love, The Summer Set, and PVRIS. Nowadays, Cassandra is continuing her pursuit of a career in the music industry! To get in contact with her, email Cstovash@gmail.com, or follow her on Instagram @cassi_faye. 
Lexie Mikula is senior Mass Communications major at Point Park University from Harrisburg, PA. Lexie held the position of Campus Correspondent and contributing editor-in-chief of HC Point Park from May 2014 - May 2016. In addition to social journalism and media, she enjoys rainy days in the city, dogs with personality, watching The Goonies with her five roommates (and HC teammates!), and coffee... copious amounts of coffee.