John Kono Rushlander: Newest Artist Signed To Pioneer Records

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

It’s no secret that one of the hottest new commodities on Point Park’s campus has become Pioneer Records, the university-operated record label that utilizes resources from the SAEM department and Red Caiman Studios to turn student musicians into well-developed artists. John Kono Rushlander, a former military veteran and non-traditional student, is the 2nd artist to join the Pioneer Records roster, and Her Campus couldn’t wait to chat with him about his newfound campus stardom:

Photo by Lexie Mikula

HC: You’re a self-taught guitarist; tell us about how you started playing and building up your skills.

JKR: “I had some friends in high school and in the Army who got me interested in playing guitar and taught me a few things. It just kind of went from there; I got to a point where I could play and sing, then I felt like writing was a good idea, and eventually felt like I should perform.”

HC: Who are some musicians you admire, and why?

JKR: “Since I entered a few amateur circuits of performing in different cities, I started really admiring the working musician- people with a normal life, no glamour, who were doing their craft that weren’t necessarily in the limelight. They have a total love for doing it, and when you see someone with that exceptional talent it’s just humbling, and I feel like I can relate to that. I’ll drop a name- nobody probably knows her- but Anna Morgan is a blues singer I met in Chicago, and she is such an amazing talent.”

HC: Where do you get inspiration from when songwriting?

JKR: “I compose on a very mechanical level… If I’m playing a riff on the guitar, it gives me a feeling, and that feeling sparks words or an idea that I want to incorporate. It’s like breeding, you know? And the song is the baby!”  

HC: Describe your favorite past performance.

JKR: “I had a few really good experiences in a club in Chicago called The Gallery Cabaret, that’s where I started to understand the realities of performing. I had a small gig there, and the booking agent knew I didn’t have a huge following and that I wasn’t going to make him much money, but he booked me anyway. There was this homeless man I met by the name of Charlie Q., and he’s actually the one who recommended I go to New Orleans since that’s what my style reminded him of! He was kind of a cavalier or a supporter to me; I admired him because he was like this free bird, a madman with long hair that looked like this crazy angel. He played keys, so I asked him if he wanted to show up and play with me, and sure enough he did! We did a small set together, and it was one of those scenarios where you’re performing but no one seems to care, but afterwards I drove Charlie Q. back to wherever he was staying, and I realized he walked about a solid three miles in the dead of winter in Chicago just to play with me. It was a ‘wow’ experience.”

Photo by Lexie Mikula

HC: Do you ever get nervous or insecure about playing in front of crowds? If so, how do you deal with it?

JKR: “I do prior to the performance, but once I start playing, this thing takes over that’s never nervous or insecure. It’s just something you have to get over by just pushing through.”

HC: How do you balance your music and new commitment to Pioneer Records with your classes?

JKR: “In the first few weeks, not well at all, but it’s coming along! It’s cool that the label demands me at the very least to stay in school and do well; people working on Pioneer Records are doing so much hard work that involves me, so when they’re taking time out of their day, I have to make sure I’m here so that can happen!”

HC: What exciting things do you have in the works with the label?

JKR: “The recording of my EP is definitely exciting. I’ve yet to do any performances, I think we’re going to wait until the New Year to do that. I have a music video happening with he cinema department too!”

HC: You’re majoring in Sports, Arts & Entertainment Management; did you choose this to learn how to develop yourself further as an artist, or is there another area in the industry you have career interests in?

JKR: “I initially wanted to understand the business aspects of the industry and what it really takes, not really caring to go in any particular direction with it. I wanted to educate myself on those things [in SAEM]. But I’m actually switching to psychology!”

HC: Last but not least, what is your go-to karaoke song?

JKR: “I run away from karaoke! But if I’m forced, I would do ‘The Rose’ by Bette Midler.”

Keep tabs on John’s journey with Pioneer Records next semester on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter!

Cassandra Stovash is a Fall 2015 graduate of the Sports, Arts & Entertainment Management program at Point Park University. She began involvement with Her Campus as a contributing writer at the WVWC chapter, which sparked her passion for the Her Campus mission, and knew she had to bring it to Point Park University when she transferred there in the fall of 2013. After founding the chapter and serving as its editor-in-chief for a year, she moved up the Her Campus ranks to a Chapter Advisor position that's allowed her to work with 15+ chapters across the United States! Being part of Her Campus provided Cassandra with countless opportunities throughout college such as attending Her Conference and College Fashion Week events in New York City. Her most notable highlight was receiving press access at Vans Warped Tour in 2014 & 2015, where she interviewed artists such as Echosmith, Courage My Love, The Summer Set, and PVRIS. Nowadays, Cassandra is continuing her pursuit of a career in the music industry! To get in contact with her, email Cstovash@gmail.com, or follow her on Instagram @cassi_faye.