This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

On most days, I have the music taste of a 50 year old man. So what could be better than getting song suggestions from my favorite 50 year old man? I asked my dad to send me five songs that he thinks I would like (which he successfully accomplished). I chose five songs that I hope he will enjoy. Here is the result.

(Side A – Kevin’s choices)

1. With a Little Luck by Wings

It only took me one song into my dad’s suggestions before I learned something new. The band, Wings, was formed by Paul McCartney and his wife, Linda. With soothing harmonies and Paul’s mellow voice, it is a laid-back, feel-good tune.

1. I’m Into Something Good by Herman’s Hermits

I already knew this song from it’s feature in The Brave Little Toaster to the Rescue, but it’s a good toe-tapping and head-bobbing type of tune that never gets old.

1. It’s the End of the World by R.E.M.

I never really got into R.E.M.’s songs other than an occasional jam session to Losing My Religion while driving my minivan. Being introduced to this song might just change that. It has high energy through the fast-paced that is addicting.

1. Diary of Horace Wimp by Electric Light Orchestra

Listening to ELO is instant happiness and this song does not disappoint.

1. Don’t Let the Sun Go Down On Me by Elton John

This is such a dad power ballad and I’m here for it.

(Side B – Emily’s choices)

1. Yesterday’s Sunshine by Grapefruit

A very Beatlesque song, it’s just a good ol’ 60s sad-dad song that is here to relate to all of the sad dads out there.

1. Fakin’ It by Simon & Garfunkel

Simon & Garfunkel are my BOYS and I discovered them by raiding my dad’s CD collection years ago.

1. Trouble by Cage the Elephant

This is where the playlist transitions into more modern music, with the hopes that my dad will still approve. It has a light guitar and soft lyrics that makes it sound nostalgic.

1. Dearly Departed by Shakey Graves

My dad is, in fact, a country music fan… while I am simply not.. But this song is a good compromise as it is alternative folk-rock with a little country twang, that I thought my dad would appreciate.

1. Jade by Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros

Another one of my favorite bands which I included because of the 20th century sounds that they incorporate. Although released in 2009, Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros have a distinct sound as the songs were transported from past decades, but with a modern day twist.

If you’ve been in a music rut, consider asking your parents for some song suggestions. Although they may not be quite as edgy as you are, they have been listening to good tunes for years.

Emily Sjoberg

Point Park '22

A Leslie Knope wannabe. I like buffalo cauliflower and Frank Ocean.
Blogger and Photographer with a passion for all things art and pop culture! Future journalist for Rolling Stone Magazine and hoping to travel the world! Follow me on Twitter and Instagram @emmaechristley, check out my photography on Instagram @emmachristleyphoto. Also, I have a blog! http://emmaelizabethblog.weebly.com/