This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

I don’t know about any of you, but packing for home before holiday break was a challenge. There is never enough room in my bag for a month of clothing, especially with all of my big comfy sweaters. I brought nearly all my clothing to school, which seemed like a good idea until didn’t have anything to wear at home. If you struggle with this too, never fear: You could bring a larger suitcase and deal with storing it in your dorm, or you could create your own capsule wardrobe!

The term “capsule wardrobe” was created by London boutique owner, Susie Faux. She refers to it as, “a collection of a few essential items of clothing that don’t go out of fashion, such as skirts, trousers, and coats, which can then be augmented with seasonal pieces.” The pieces of clothing contain neutral colors and an accent color or two and the pieces can be mixed and matched to create several outfits. Before you have to pack for spring break, let’s create a basic Capsule Wardrobe!

Establish your basics.

These will be the foundation of your wardrobe. Your basic pieces should be neutral colors. These include white, nude, black, grey, and navy. You should have:

• 1 denim jacket

• 1 Chambray Shirt

• 1 pair of jeans

• 2 neutral tops – one dark and one light

• 1 neutral cardigan

• 1 neutral dress.

Add colors, textures and/or patterns

This is where you add your own personal style. Pick colors and patterns that reflect who you are. Try to get something appropriate for every season! You need:

• 2 skirts – one solid, one patterned

• 2 blouses – one floral, one stripped

• 1 patterned dress

• 1 colored cardigan

• 1 pair of colored pants (optional)

• 1 Stylish jacket – i.e leather jacket or suede jacket

Grab some neutral shoes

Shoes can take up a lot of space in a suitcase or carry one. Finding the perfect universal shoe can be a total lifesaver when you’re worried about space. I have four go-to shoes I rotate through depending on the weather.

• Nude flats

• Brown sandals

• Black books

• Neutral Sneakers

Pick your accessories!

Accessories are the icing on the universal wardrobe cake; Their job is to make each outfit unique. Adding something like a statement necklace or bold earrings give you a stylish flair when you’re wearing neutral colors. Give these accessories a try!

• 1 printed Scarf

• 3 Necklaces of various lengths

• Smaller Jewelry – bracelets, earrings, etc

• 2 belts – 1 neutral 1 color / pattern

With these average pieces of clothing, you can create 30 unique outfits! Of course, all of the tips can be altered, but I think this is a great start. Never be bored with your look again by creating a flexible capsule wardrobe; It’s easier to pack and fun to coordinate!

Madison Kelkis is a sophmore public relations and advertising major at Point Park University.
Rebekah Mohrmann is a Senior Sports, Arts, and Entertainment Management major and Multimedia minor at Point Park University. You can find her on Instagram and Twitter at @rebekahxmarie.