Glory: The Return of Britney Spears

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

“Here’s my invitation, baby. Hope it sets us free. To know each other better” Spears coos on the opening track “Invitation” from her 9th studio album Glory. With this invitation in hand, we dive into arguable one of Spears best albums of her career. The next song off the album is hit “Make Me”. The synth pop jam features rapper G-Eazy and is the most mature we have seen Spears since 2004’s hit ‘Everytime”.  “Make Me” is about the true feeling of love and with lyrics like “you’re the spark that won’t go out. The hearts on fire when you’re around” – it could be one of her most well written singles as well. “Make Me” became Spears’ 25th Top 40 hit in late July and was a huge step forward  from 2015’s misguided “Pretty Girls”. Glory explores every type of genre popular is mainstream music today. From the “Toxic” twin “Do You Want To Come Over” to the guitar assisted “Just Like Me”, Spears knows what she is doing this time.  

Glory not only is a terrific pop record but it also is a return to form for the pop icon. Spear’s last album, 2013’s Britney Jean, sounded more like a Britney Spears tribute album than an actual Britney Spears album. However besides Glory being a step up from Britney Jean, it also seems  Britney is taking control of her music and image again. In tracks like “Liar” we see a new confident “Britney”. The most confident she has been since 2003’s In The Zone. Britney’s new music isn’t the only thing glowing, Britney the person is as well.  We all know the story of Britney Spears. Meteoric rise to fame at sixteen, pop music icon at twenty one, and public joke at twenty five. After Spears very public breakdown in 2007, Britney started to get back on her feet in 2008. She planned her comeback with the Circus album which featured hits like “Womanizer”, “Circus” and “If U See Amy”. The album also saw the hugely successful tour The Circus Staring Britney Spears. Circus was a welcomed comeback but could she continue the momentum?  Her next album would be 2011’s Femme Fatale. The album featured hits like “I Wanna Go” and “Till The World Ends” however Spears performances of the album looked tired and unprepared. She even stated in interview with MTV during the Femme Fatale era that she wasn’t sure if she still would be performing in five years. “Maybe ill be here in five years, I don’t know, maybe”. From the woman that gave us “Slave 4 U” this confidence wasn’t the Britney we fell in love with. Fast forward five years later, Britney Spears is on top of the world again. Her Las Vegas residency “Piece Of Me” completely reinvented the Vegas entertainment scene. She has her smoking body back. Also, she is dancing with passion again. No longer is she moving her hands up and down. She is taking time to learn the choreography. Most importantly Britney Spears is smiling again. Britney was so loved because of her heartwarming personality and a smile that was so treasured by millions. That Britney is back. Britney is the ultimate “comeback kid”. No matter how many times you count her out. She keeps coming back and proving herself. Yet with Glory, she might finally be done trying to prove herself to anyone. This is Britney Spears. Glory is coming out when pop stars like Selena Gomez, Ariana Grande, and Beyonce are dominating the airwaves. Britney fits right in though. She is reinventing her whole image for a new generation of pop music lovers.

Another massive reinvention move for Spears was when she performed at this year’s 2016 Video Music Awards. Her last VMA performance was the iconic yet disastrous performance of “Gimme More” in 2007.  The performance was yet another misfortunate moment that year for the icon. So when the news of Britney performing at this year’s award show broke fans and the media went into full hysteria. What would she do? Could she top the snake? The kiss? The nude body suit? Every moment in Britney’s VMA history was an iconic pop culture moment. Britney’s triumphant return to the VMA’s stage is what redemption stories are all about. She looked confident, happy and that she actually wanted to be there. She performed “Make Me’ to glowing reviews and applause. Britney Spears finally conquered demons that held her back for so long.  It’s hard to say where Britney Spears will be twenty years from now. She is a pop music icon but unlike Madonna, Beyonce, or Lady Gaga she doesn’t want the fame her name brings. She waits in line for ice cream just like everyone else. She goes to Starbucks in her pajamas just like everyone else. Simply, Britney Spears is just like everyone. She is goofy, down to earth and truly doesn’t understand the impact she has had on people’s lives. Five years ago Britney Spears stated she “maybe wanted to do this still”. Recently in an interview with New York’s Z100 Britney stated that “she wants to do another 9 albums”. “The world just can’t get rid of me” she giggled on air. Well Britney, I don’t think we want to get rid of you.

Brendan Dazen was born June 10th, 1994 in Pittsburgh, Pa. As a child he particapted in such activities as soccer, dance, theater, baseball, and singing. He grew up to love theater and music so much. He even landed a "Best Newcomer" award for Peters Township High School's theater department . He now attends Point Park University for Sports, Arts, and Entertainment Management. He wanted to become a member of HerCampus because he wanted to share his thoughts and ideas of pop culture, music, and fashion with his campus, and hopefully other schools. Brendan has a strong interset in Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus, sunflowers, fashion, adventutres, photography, concerts, and dance. He hopes in the future to be a production manager.
Junior public relations and advertising major @ PPU | hockey enthusiast, crazed cat lady, lover of life, spontaneous world traveler | Forever a Naked Brothers Band fan & the future BFF of Gregory Polanco.