A Freshman Guide to A Night Out in Oakland

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

It’s Friday night, it’s your first month at college…what better way to celebrate than getting dressed up with your new friends and hopping on a shuttle to go to a party in Oakland? You’ve heard all about the sweaty basements packed full with college students and the endless supply of Natty Light (for 21+ collegiettes only!), and now it’s your turn to experience it firsthand.  Here’s a freshman’s guide to surviving – and enjoying – these party-filled nights.

• Go out with a group of people

First of all, going out to a party alone is bound to be less fun and possibly a little awkward.  Second, and more importantly, going out with a group of friends is a lot safer.  Walking the streets of Oakland probably isn’t the best idea for anyone after it gets dark out.

• Know what bus to take to get back to Point Park

Chances are, if you are going to a party, you won’t be making it back to the Point Park shuttle by midnight.  That leaves the option of taking the Pittsburgh Port Authority buses. For the record, taking any of the 61 or 71 buses (or any bus that says “Via Downtown”) at Fifth Avenue and Craft will get you back downtown to Point Park.

• Download Lyft or Uber

On the chance that you and your friends don’t make it for the last bus downtown at 2 a.m., Lyft and Uber will be lifesavers.  These apps allow people to request a ride to wherever they need to go, at any time of day.  Be warned though, taking the bus is much more cost effective.  Also, getting home by 2 a.m. is important because the pizza joints downtown close then.  And, let’s be honest, ordering a Pizza Fiesta college special is almost always more important than the party you’re at.

• Don’t wear heels

Unless you want to get blisters on your feet and have a miserable time, hiking across Oakland in four inch stilettos is probably not the best idea.  

• Mingle, but make sure you regroup with the friends you came with at the end of the night

One of the keys to making sure everyone has a good night is making sure everyone gets home safely.  It’s a good rule to follow that if you left Point Park with them, you should make sure that you are returning to Point Park with them.

• If you decide to leave with a guy, make sure to let your friends know

Again, whoever came to the party together holds some sort of responsibility to one another.  If you decide to hang out at a guy’s dorm following the party, make sure you tell your friends so they don’t worry.

• Dress accordingly

If it is negative ten degrees and icy outside, don’t wear your favorite crop top, no matter how cute it is.  Also, if it’s a themed party, go all out! No one wants to be that girl that wears all black to a luau themed party.

• Have fun!

Ultimately, isn’t the point of going to a party to have a fun and unforgettable time?  Follow these tips and you are sure to reach that goal!

Alyssa Edwards, sophomore Sports, Arts, and Entertainment Management major at Point Park University, Works part-time at American Eagle Outfitters.  Lover of cats, adventures, Ben and Jerry's ice cream, and ballet. 
Lexie Mikula is senior Mass Communications major at Point Park University from Harrisburg, PA. Lexie held the position of Campus Correspondent and contributing editor-in-chief of HC Point Park from May 2014 - May 2016. In addition to social journalism and media, she enjoys rainy days in the city, dogs with personality, watching The Goonies with her five roommates (and HC teammates!), and coffee... copious amounts of coffee.