Did your zodiac sign really change?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

An article on NASA’s blog has gone viral, causing an astronomical panic. A 13th constellation mentioned by NASA is startling astrologers, horoscope readers, and anyone with a zodiac tattoo. Ophiuchus, the “serpent bearer,” is responsible for creating the new zodiac calendar that nobody asked for, which now looks like this:

Capricorn: Jan. 20 – Feb. 16

Aquarius: Feb. 16 – March 11

Pisces: March 11- April 18

Aries: April 18- May 13

Taurus: May 13- June 21

Gemini: June 21- July 20

Cancer: July 20- Aug. 10

Leo: Aug. 10- Sept. 16

Virgo: Sept. 16- Oct. 30

Libra: Oct. 30- Nov. 23

Scorpio: Nov. 23- Nov. 29

Ophiuchus: Nov. 29- Dec. 17

Sagittarius: Dec. 17- Jan. 20

Has your sign changed? If so, you’re not alone. But don’t blame NASA. Ophiuchus is not a new constellation, it’s been around for quite some time. It’s only gained recent attention because of NASA’s blog.   

The history of the zodiac:

NASA explained that the 12 signs of the zodiac were invented by the Babylonians, an ancient civilization that was located in the present-day Middle East. Although they knew of 13 zodiac constellations, the Babylonian calendar had only 12 months, so they had to pick which one to cut. (Sorry, Ophiuchus.)

NASA also pointed out that the zodiac was never perfect to begin with. A zodiac’s ‘time’ is when it lines up with the sun. Some constellations are lined up with the sun longer than others, but astrologists evened out each zodiac’s length of ‘time’ . The zodiac obviously does not line up exactly with each month, and, interestingly enough, the Babylonian zodiac was different than ours, due to the shift in the Earth’s axis.

Who even is Ophiuchus?  

Ophiuchus is a healer, according to an online Time article. There are several myths surrounding Ophiuchus. An Ancient Greek legend states he’s the son of Apollo and became a god of healing, and that his snake represents rebirth, due to the way a snake can shed its skin. Most myths mention his wisdom.

During this shocking “new discovery” of Ophiuchus, Bustle published an article for people who suddenly found themselves to be the 13th zodiac sign. According to the article, those born under the sign Ophiuchus supposedly are knowledge seekers and don’t have a certain element (earth, air, water, fire) associated with them like the other signs do.

Astrology vs. Astronomy

Before you start reading a new horoscope, (or remove that tattoo) remember that there is a difference between astrology and astronomy. As NASA points out on their blog, “astronomy is the scientific study of everything in outer space… Astrology is something else. It’s not science. No one has shown that astrology can be used to predict the future or describe what people are like based only on their birth date.”

So, according to astronomy, the zodiac is a collection of constellations that the sun passes through during different parts of the year. According to astrology, the signs are used to make predictions, and those born under a certain sign can have certain characteristics. According to astronomy, there is a 13th zodiac constellation. According to astrology? Well, that’s up to you.

Junior public relations and advertising major @ PPU | hockey enthusiast, crazed cat lady, lover of life, spontaneous world traveler | Forever a Naked Brothers Band fan & the future BFF of Gregory Polanco.