This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

The pop star expressed her anger in an epic twitter spree.

Often times, a celebrity tweeting a long rant leads to mass confusion and a public relations fiasco, but this one was a good rant.  Demi Lovato stayed up late Saturday night and aired her frustrations after a court denied Kesha freedom from her contract with Dr. Luke.  Lovato tweeted her support, called out the issue with sexual assault victims, and shaded white feminists.  

On Friday, news broke that Kesha would not be freed from her contract.  Celebrities and fans were disheartened by the news about the embattled singer and let their voices be heard.  How? Social media, of course.

In her epic rant, Lovato brought attention to two big issues: white feminism and the treatment of sexual assault victims.  Slay!

Many are calling Demi’s tweets a subtle dig at Taylor Swift, an often self-proclaimed feminist.

Swift has become known and mocked for her “white feminism.” A white feminist is a feminist who ignores the struggles of people of color and claims feminism when convenient.  

Demi’s tweets called out an issue among famous feminists.  They choose to speak up only when an injustice applies to them.  They remain silent about injustices that wouldn’t necessarily apply to them because of their societal position or skin color.  Truth be told, this applies to many feminists.  It’s an issue that can only be fixed when called attention to and through education.

The tweets also pointed out how women are treated when they come forward with sexual assault allegations.

All too often, women aren’t taken seriously and are met with scrutiny.  The treatment of these women is a setback, and makes it more difficult for women to come out with their stories.  Kesha’s story is no different.

The “Tik Tok” singer has been in an ongoing court battle with her famed producer, Dr. Luke, who she alleges drugged and raped her on several occasions beginning ten years ago.  If you recall, Kesha checked into rehab for eating disorders because of the physical and mental abuse she endured over the years.  

Kesha has been trying to get out of her contract with Dr. Luke, which has prevented her from releasing any new music.  Her last release was 2013’s “Timber” with Pitbull.  Fans believe that Sony is punishing her for speaking up by not allowing her to release new music, and began the “#FreeKesha” campaign.  

Progress is only made when others speak out and have the support of others.  

Lauren O'Connor is a sophomore at Point Park University. She is majoring in Public Relations. She is a self-proclaimed social media addict and can't get enough of reality TV shows. Her favorite topics of discussion are pop music and politics.
Lexie Mikula is senior Mass Communications major at Point Park University from Harrisburg, PA. Lexie held the position of Campus Correspondent and contributing editor-in-chief of HC Point Park from May 2014 - May 2016. In addition to social journalism and media, she enjoys rainy days in the city, dogs with personality, watching The Goonies with her five roommates (and HC teammates!), and coffee... copious amounts of coffee.