Dani McSweeney -’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

Junior SAEM major Dani McSweeney has had her fair share of sucess since transferring to Point Park University. Last December, she was chosen to represent the University and the Pittsburgh Center for Sports Media and Marketing to attend the 2015 Baseball Winter Meetings and Jobs Forum in Nashville, Tenessee. It was there that she interviewed for a merchandising position with Perfect Game USA. Dani was lucky enought to spend this past summer in Fort Myers, Florida interning with the company.

Learn more about Dani below!

HC: You’re a transfer student. Why did you choose Point Park?

Dani McSweeney: When originally deciding on a college, I was between Point Park and West Virginia University. After some deciding, I ended up choosing WVU. But after a semester I realized I wasn’t really happy. I took the Point Park SAEM 101 course in high school and was really just attracted to the campus and all if offered. I’ve lived right outside of Pittsburgh by whole life, and the city is just something I fall in love with every single day. When I revised Point Park in the fall of 2014, I knew it was where I needed to be. Not to mention, the great reputation the School of Business was starting to gain.

HC: What all are you involved in on campus?

DM: On campus, I’m involved with the Honors Program and the Center For Sports Media and Marketing. With the center, I am a Student Advisory Board Member and also the Honors Assistant as well.

HC: What has been the most valuable lesson you’ve learned from a professor?

DM: I’ve learned a lot of different things from professors, but the most important lesson I’ve learned has come from an out of the classroom connection. Mike Fetchko, co-founder of the Center For Sports Media and Marketing has really taught that you need to be willing to do whatever to get where you want to be. You’ve got to be willing to step outside of your comfort zone, take chances, and embrace new experiences in order to further yourself and your career.  

HC: If you could be any animal, what would you be?

DM: A Polar Bear.

HC: Do you attribute the downtown setting to your success? Why?

DM: I absolutely attribute the downtown setting to my success. Without being downtown, I wouldn’t have a position with the Penguins, or have any of the connections with employers/and people like I do. Point Park is in the middle of countless businesses and companies, and students have everything they could want right at their fingertips.

Junior public relations and advertising major @ PPU | hockey enthusiast, crazed cat lady, lover of life, spontaneous world traveler | Forever a Naked Brothers Band fan & the future BFF of Gregory Polanco.