Coming to America: Syrian Refugee Crisis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

In the wake of the Paris terrorist attacks, Americans are engaging in debates about the Syrian refugees expected to arrive in 2016.  Here’s what you need to know:

Last September, amid growing tensions in Syria, President Obama announced that in 2016, ten-thousand Syrian refugees would be allowed to enter the United States.  At first, Americans were more open to it, especially after the body of a toddler washed ashore in Turkey.  Now, with the recent Paris terrorist attack, views have shifted amongst Americans.  Thirty-one of the 50 states, have openly “closed” their doors on Syrian refugees due to “safety concerns.”  Ultimately, that decision is up to the federal government. How does that work?

In 1980, a Refugee Act was signed into place.  This states that the president of the United States can admit those seeking refuge who face persecution or a “well-founded fear of persecution.” The Syrian refugees seeking asylum fall under exactly what the act states.  

Let’s begin with some background on why the refugees are fleeing Syria: In 2011, violence broke out when Assad’s regime became a dictatorship.  The civilians were constant targets of violence, and ISIS (the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria) had destroyed their homes.  By 2012, things took a turn for the worse and it became a civil war.  More than half of the country’s population has been displaced, thousands have been killed, and millions are seeking asylum in Europe and North America. According to the United Nations, Syrian refugees are the largest refugee population.

Those against welcoming refugees into the United States claim that the vetting process just isn’t strong enough to detect anyone associated with terrorist organizations.  This claim comes after it’s suspected that one of the terrorists in the Paris attacks came in as a Syrian refugee.  Whether this is true or not is still under investigation.  It’s important to note that Europe and America differ in terms of background checks.  

In Europe, someone can be paid roughly 1,000 US dollars to fake documents.  The refugees aren’t even documented once they enter.  Entry into the United States, for refugees, is the toughest and most stringent for anyone seeking entry.

First, refugees are approved by the United Nations. After approval, they are reviewed by five government agencies: the State Department, Department of Homeland Security, the Defense Department, the National Counterterrorism Center, and the FBI. Pending applicants will be checked against terrorism databases.  If there is any doubt about their security risk, they will not be admitted.  The whole process can take between 18 and 24 months.  The US has experience with vetting refugees, as we took in Iraqi refugees in 2007.  

Even after the terror attacks in Paris, France has vowed that it will remain a “country of freedom” and continue to allow in Syrian refugees.  Over the next two years, France is expected to welcome 30,000 refugees.  Many European countries have vowed the same as a statement to Daesh (ISIS) that they will not succumb to fear.  America, a country that has received no credible threats, remains fearful.  

Even those who are prepared to welcome Syrian refugees are concerned about what will happen once they get here.  States have funds and organizations set up ready to help the refugees settle into their new surroundings.  Temporary housing will be provided along with basic living materials.  The funds will also help them take English classes, find employment, and ensure their child’s success in education. Around 2,000 refugees already live in the US.

The whole world is adamant on defeating ISIS, as we should be.  Turning away those seeking refuge from the terrors created by ISIS and their own government would be playing into what ISIS wants.  We must unite for the sake of humanity.  

For the latest news on the Syrian refugee crisis, click here.

Lauren O'Connor is a sophomore at Point Park University. She is majoring in Public Relations. She is a self-proclaimed social media addict and can't get enough of reality TV shows. Her favorite topics of discussion are pop music and politics.
Lexie Mikula is senior Mass Communications major at Point Park University from Harrisburg, PA. Lexie held the position of Campus Correspondent and contributing editor-in-chief of HC Point Park from May 2014 - May 2016. In addition to social journalism and media, she enjoys rainy days in the city, dogs with personality, watching The Goonies with her five roommates (and HC teammates!), and coffee... copious amounts of coffee.