This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

Finals are almost here for most collegiettes and some of you first timers–I’m talking to you, freshman–have not quite figured out the best strategies to passing your exams with style.

Ok, let’s get this clear… I hate taking tests. I get nervous, I freeze up, I forget everything that I have ever been taught. This happens to a lot of students, so if this sounds like you, believe me, you are not alone.

So, I have made a little list of tips and tricks to make this time a little easier for you (at least, these have been working for me).

PRIORITIZE YOUR TIME.

Yes, yes. I know how hard this one is. I am the queen of procrastination, but I realize I can’t always get away with studying the night before a big test. You aren’t going to retain anything if you’re craving economic vocal terms at 2 a.m. for your midterm first thing in the morning.

So, instead of scrolling through Facebook or cramming in another episode of NCIS between classes, take that half-hour to read through your notes, make flashcards, whatever helps you better remember whatever the heck your professor was talking about.

Tip: I usually re-write my notes and it helps me understand the lecture so much better. Re-writing everything allows the material to really sink into your brain.

TAKE BREAKS.

Wait… didn’t I just tell you to prioritize your free times? I know, but taking small breaks to breathe while studying ensures that you won’t go crazy with headaches and anxiety. Because studying is boring — let’s face it.

After spending 30 minutes to an hour of reading through notes, your textbook or whatever other materials you have, be sure to relax for 10 minutes.

Tip: Take a walk, meditate, shower, get a refill of water and let yourself breathe for a few moments before returning to your work. 

GET COMFORTABLE.

I personally love studying in the library or at a coffee shop, because when there are other people around me, I feel more influenced to keep to my work. Wherever you feel focused and comfortable will be the best place for long study sessions.

It can be very difficult to read when there is a TV two feet from you…because who wants to miss the Oscars live, right?

Tip: Natural light, soft colors, no distractions are the best ways to ensure maximum retention. 

Make sure you have all your materials with you, and remember that there are no stupid questions. If you don’t understand something, email your professor. Despite popular belief, they really want you to pass.

Good luck!

Sophomore Mass Communication major with a big city dream. I enjoy Netflix, naps and Nutella. Also, I'm a bit of a coffee snob.
Lexie Mikula is senior Mass Communications major at Point Park University from Harrisburg, PA. Lexie held the position of Campus Correspondent and contributing editor-in-chief of HC Point Park from May 2014 - May 2016. In addition to social journalism and media, she enjoys rainy days in the city, dogs with personality, watching The Goonies with her five roommates (and HC teammates!), and coffee... copious amounts of coffee.