Blaine King, United Student Government President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

Meet junior Broadcast Reporting major, Blaine King! King is the president of Point Park University’s United Student Government (USG). Read more about him and his job as president below!

Tell us what your job as USG president entails.

As the USG president, I oversee the entire study body and the entire USG organization. I give out plans to my executive cabinent that I want to see completed. I also want to be like a teacher and help them reach their potential growth. I can’t stay in this position forever so I want to help everyone to reach their potential and grow as a leader and person in this organization.

How did you come into this position?

Freshman year I started off as a senator in USG. Towards the end of sophomore year I was promoted to the executive cabinet. Second semester of sophomore year, Julian Singleton, the now graduated USG President, approached me and asked me if I had any interest in being president. I did, so I followed him around, saw what he did, and decided to run for President. Then I announced my candidacy, I was just telling people I was running for president. I ran unopposed, so I didn’t have to campaign much, but I had to assure everyone returning I would be a good leader, I had to prove myself to my advisors, and I wanted to show them I had a set plan when I came into office.

Have you always had an interest in politics?

Yes, back in elementary school I ran for vice president, but didn’t get elected, so I decided to be a class representative. After that, in middle school I didn’t have much interest, but in high school I became a class representative again, decided to run for vice president, didn’t win, ran for president twice, didn’t win those, but hey, third time is the charm.

What’s the most rewarding part about this job?

It’s just seeing the success that we can achieve as a group. I really do appreciate seeing my members honestly just going out and having success, trying new stuff, enjoying things and having fun, and learning too.

What else are you involved in on campus?

UView – I am the news and sports director. I also help out with the Pittsburgh Center for Sports Media and Marketing. I’m also a pioneer ambassador.

What’s your dream job?

To be a sports anchor for a major sports network, or for a top market.

What’s one interesting fact people might not know about you?

When I used to wrestle in eighth grade, I had to wrestle a girl. She was on the other team, and my coach told me to beat her brains in. 

Casey McGaw

Point Park

Social Media Manager - Her Campus at Point Park Casey McGaw is a second semester senior at Point Park University hoping to pursue a career within sports and social media. Casey is an unashamed Harry Potter enthusiast (#TeamRavenclaw) and enjoys long, romantic walks to the fridge. She hopes to make a positive impact on the world around her through social justice advocacy and good puns. And as a social media professional, she is eager to share her "GIFs" with the world.