9 Netflix Original Series To Look Forward To In 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

Let’s face it; being college students, the allure of the Internet is ever present. We probably make New Year’s resolutions that we will focus more on school and spend less time watching cat videos on YouTube or the master of distraction: Netflix.  But if we’re being honest, the chances of that actually happening are pretty slim, especially with constant remainders of returning series (OITNB anyone?). The onslaught of new series that are slated to premiere just tells of all the nights that you are going to spend regretting staying up just to watch yet another episode (What are 8 a.m.’s? Right?).

1) House of Cards: Season 3 Premiere February 27,2015

“This is the beginning of my revenge,” an interesting of opening of to Kevin Spacey’s acceptance speech after claiming the title of Best Actor in a Drama series for his role as Frank Underwood. This was a just a mere tease as during the commercial break that followed, Netflix debuted the trailer for Season 3.

2) Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt: Premiere March 6,2015

“After living in a cult for 15 years, Kimmy (Ellie Kemper) decides to reclaim her life and start over in New York City. Armed with just a backpack, light-up sneakers, and a couple of way-past-due library books, she’s ready to take on a world she didn’t even think existed anymore. Wide-eyed but resilient, nothing is going to stand in her way. She quickly finds a new job working for a wealthy Manhattanite (Jane Krakowski), a new roommate,Titus, a gay, larger than life singer (Tituss Burgess,) and a new beginning.” -Netflix synopsis

3) Bloodline: Premiere March 20, 2015

A drama from the “Damages” creative team ‘Bloodline’ centers on a close-knit Florida Keys family of four adult siblings whose secrets and scars are revealed when their black sheep brother returns home. — which includes Kyle Chandler, Ben Mendelsohn, Linda Cardellini, Norbert Leo Butz, Jacinda Barrett, Sissy Spacek and Sam Shepard.

4) Daredevil: Premiere April 10, 2015

Daredevil is an upcoming American web series developed for Netflix by Drew Goddard, which is based on Marvel Comics character. Set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) , Daredevil tells the story of a Matt Murdock (Charlie Cox) who was blinded at a young age but uses his heightened senses to fight injustice during the day as a lawyer and at night as the “Daredevil”.

5) Grace and Frankie : Premiere May 8, 2015

‘Grace and Frankie’ stars Jane Fonda (Grace) and Lily Tomlin (Frankie) as a pair of frenemies whose lives are turned upside down — and permanently intertwined — when their husbands leave them for each other. From executive producers Marta Kaufmann (‘Friends’) and Howard Morris (‘Home Improvement’), the funny and fearless series takes on aging with gusto, as Grace and Frankie face starting over in their 70s in a 21st Century world, from facelifts to Facebook, joint pain to joint rolling and blind dates to night blindness. The comedic drama also stars Martin Sheen and Sam Waterston, along with Brooklyn Decker, Ethan Embry, Baron Vaughn and June Diane Raphael.”

6) Orange is the New Black: Season 3 : Premiere June 2015

Orange Is The New Black is a drama-comedy that chronicles the lives of a group of women serving jail sentences in the Litchfield Federal Correctional Institute.  After finishing two glorious seasons they are coming back with a third one. The only question that everyone is dying for answer is Vee dead?

7) A.K.A Jessica Jones : Premiere 2015

The series stars Krysten Ritter as Jessica Jones, a former superhero who opens her own detective agency. It is the second in a series of shows that will lead up to a Defenders crossover miniseries, and is produced by Marvel Television in association with ABC Studios, with Rosenberg serving as show runner.

8) Narcos : Premiere 2015

The series was created by Chris Brancato, Eric Newman, and Carlo Bernard. It will be based on the true-life story of the growth and spread of cocaine drug cartels across the globe and attendant efforts of law enforcement to meet them head on in brutal, bloody conflict. It will center around the notorious Colombian cocaine kingpin Pablo Escobar (Wagner Moura) and Javier Pena (Pedro Pascal), a Mexican DEA agent sent to Colombia on a U.S. mission to capture and ultimately kill him.

9) Sense8 : Premiere 2015

Sense8 will tell the story of eight strangers (Smith, Middleton, Ameen, Bae, Silvestre, Desae, Riemelt, and Clayton) from different cultures and parts of the world that in the aftermath of a tragic death suddenly find themselves mentally and emotionally connected – an evolutionary leap of technological origin. While trying to figure why this happened and what it means for the future of mankind, a mysterious and powerful man named Jonas will try to bring the eight together, while another stranger called Mr. Whispers and his organization will attempt to hunt them down to capture or assassinate them.

Which series are you most looking forward to watching? Let us know on Twitter, @HCPointPark! 

Point Park University Class of 2018. Sophomore. Aspiring Photographer/Photojournalist for National Geographic or Reuters . Jamaican/Honduran. Lover of music,books,cultures & food. Multi-fandom fanatic.
Lexie Mikula is senior Mass Communications major at Point Park University from Harrisburg, PA. Lexie held the position of Campus Correspondent and contributing editor-in-chief of HC Point Park from May 2014 - May 2016. In addition to social journalism and media, she enjoys rainy days in the city, dogs with personality, watching The Goonies with her five roommates (and HC teammates!), and coffee... copious amounts of coffee.