This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

There are quite a few bands I would consider “dad bands”, all of which usually fall under the classic rock umbrella. These could be heard while in Home Depot, enjoying a backyard cookout, or simply on the radio when tuned to 94.5 3WS. Some of these bands include: Steely Dan, The Eagles, Kansas, Lynrd Skynyrd, and Foreigner. It’s sometimes painful to be forced to listen to music with your dad, but the following bands are my recommendations to you if your dad hands you the aux, because to be honest, they’re pretty good.  

1. The Grateful Dead – American Beauty

I know, I know. It’s their most popular album, but it is for a reason. In my opinion, the Dead is probably one of the most underrated dad bands. If you just need to chillax, I suggest listening to this album.

2. Billy Joel – Glass Houses

Glass Houses is one of Billy Joel’s earlier albums and showcases the most jams. A lot of his radio hits are featured on this album, but the slower songs like C’etait Toi are the ones you should be paying more attention to.

3. Electric Light Orchestra – Out of the Blue

Electric Light Orchestra is criminally underrated…a must listen.

4. Pink Floyd – Wish You Were Here

Many will refer to Dark Side of The Moon as Pink Floyd’s best album (listen to Comfortably Numb), but this album is way underrated; It’s definitely worth the listen.

5. Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers – Damn the Torpedoes

This album was at the beginning of Petty’s career, but far in enough that you can grasp his style. If you’re new to Petty, this album is the perfect introduction.

6. Hall and Oates – Private Eyes

If you’re saying, “I Can’t Go for That (No Can Do)” when you see this suggestion, well “Say It Isn’t So”. In all seriousness though, you should listen to every Hall and Oates album, they produced bop after bop.

7. Genesis – Duke

There’s a ton of keyboards, guitar riffs, drums, and horns in this album…good stuff guys…good stuff. Also, the whole album is like a big story.

8. Chicago – Chicago I

This album was Chicago’s first. It’s super energetic and has a wide range musically. As they progressed throughout their careers their sound completely changed…the earlier that album the better.

Rebekah Mohrmann is a Senior Sports, Arts, and Entertainment Management major and Multimedia minor at Point Park University. You can find her on Instagram and Twitter at @rebekahxmarie.