5 Things To Know Before Getting Your Industrial Pierced

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

TW: Needles, Blood

A little over a year ago I took the plunge and got my industrial pierced. It took me six years to build up the courage to get it done, largely due to the fact that I wasn’t educated on the piercing or what it took. If you’re thinking about getting your industrial done, these are five things you must know before heading to the studio.

1. It’s going to take a while to find the right studio

Any piercing that you get done should be done at a tattoo studio or piercing parlor.  Make sure that you really do your research beforehand; you want to be going somewhere where you trust the piercer and a place that is clean and up to standards. Look up reviews online to see other people’s experiences, and consult with friends and family on where they have gotten piercings done. I had tagged along with a friend to a studio when he got his conch done, and he had a great experience with the studio. So when it came time to get my industrial done, I already knew where I was going to go!

2. Yes, it’s going to hurt

It all depends on your pain tolerance, but yes this piercing will be painful (as most are). I had never had any piercing done aside my lobes, which were done with a piercing gun, so I was new to being pierced by a needle. I will say it wasn’t as painful as I thought it would be, and in the end it truly wasn’t that bad. In my experience, I was so focused on the pain from the first hole that I didn’t even think about the needle going through the second hole. Fair warning though, this piercing will be bloodier than most.

My industrial right after I got it pierced!

3. YOU MUST FOLLOW THE AFTERCARE INSTRUCTIONS!

I could not emphasize this more. Following the aftercare instructions faithfully will make a world of difference in your healing process.  Listen to what your piercer says and make sure you do exactly what they say. The first two weeks after the piercing are VITAL; do not touch your piercing unless you are cleaning it, and make sure that you wash your hands before cleaning it. The aftercare process is truly the most difficult part of getting this piercing.

4. Sleeping will be very painful

Get your industrial done on the side you sleep on the least! Sleeping on your new piercing is not only bad, but it is extremely painful. There is nothing worse than waking up in the middle of the night with a throbbing ear because you had been lying on your piercing. I tend to sleep on my left side, so I got my industrial done on my right ear.

5. Healing will take a long time

The healing period for an industrial ranges anywhere from 6 months to a year. The recovery will be faster if you religiously clean it, so as I said above, take the cleaning process seriously! It is common for your ear to be sore for a few days after the piercing is completed, but that should go away within a week or so with proper aftercare.

It may seem like a lot, but I can promise that all of the work is absolutely worth it. I am in love with my industrial, so much so that even a year later I find myself admiring it. If you’re thinking about doing it, go for it!

Rebekah Mohrmann is a Senior Sports, Arts, and Entertainment Management major and Multimedia minor at Point Park University. You can find her on Instagram and Twitter at @rebekahxmarie.