5 Things to Keep in Mind When Moving Far Away from Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

When it’s time for you to make that big decision to pack your life up and move far away from everything you’ve ever known, it can be pretty terrifying. It’s amazing how the things we want the most can scare us so much. However, have no fear, because here’s some advice of things to keep in mind when you are making the newest transition in your life!

Home: Northeastern Pennsylvania

1. Don’t be Afraid to Meet New People Sometimes when you move far away, it can be scary to branch out to people you don’t know. But this is the perfect opportunity! Go and meet people, take your opportunity to start fresh, and spread your wings!

2. Keep Busy on Campus When you stay busy, you’re less likely to be as scared as you are! Your school will have lots of amazing clubs for you to join. You can join the newspaper and write about the biggest on campus gossip. Start a radio show and share your love of your favorite type of music. Join an activist club where you can fight for the things you feel strongly about. Whether preppy, sporty, artsy, or a jack of all trades, your school will surely offer something you can take interest in!

3. Keep up with a Healthy Lifestyle Taking care of yourself while away is super important. Staying up all night, waking up way too early, long weekends spent out, and cramming study sessions in can take a toll on your emotional and physical health. Make sure you take initiative to sleep well, eat healthy, work out, and destress. While having a social life and keeping on top of school is important, so is your well being.

4. Be Willing to Try New Experiences When you’re far away from home, chances are you will start to experience things you’ve never had to do before. You’ll have to do your own laundry and learn how to iron. You’ll have to remember to make sure to eat during the day without mom reminding you. You’ll have to remember to go shopping before you realize at 11 at night that you’re out of contact solution. But that’s the amazing thing about college: learning how to do the things we never had to do on our own. Take these new experiences, and hit them out of the park!

5. Don’t be Afraid to Miss Home Nobody said packing your life up and leaving to go far away would be easy. In fact, on some days, it can be the total opposite. It’s okay to miss home, to miss your family, to miss your roots. Call home and tell your mom you love her. Take your favorite stuffed animal to school and hug it tightly when you’re thinking about the family night dinners you’re missing. Look at all the pictures of memories you made for the last 18 years. It’s okay to miss home, and it’s okay to admit it.

New Adventure: Pittsburgh

Whether you’re rejoiced to be leaving, scared of the move, or sad about leaving home behind, I hope these tips treat you well. Remember that this next adventure is the most exciting time in your life, and to cherish every moment. You’re on your way!

A girl falling in love with the world, one adventure and a cup of coffee at a time.
Rebekah Mohrmann is a Senior Sports, Arts, and Entertainment Management major and Multimedia minor at Point Park University. You can find her on Instagram and Twitter at @rebekahxmarie.