The 5 Most Inspirational Women in Entertainment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

5.) Angelina Jolie

Not only has she given exceptional performances in some of our favorite films (Girl, Interrupted, Maleficent), she is one of the most powerful humanitarians in the world. Angelina Jolie promotes several causes, including conservation, education, and anti-sexual violence, and is most noted for her advocacy on behalf of refugees as a representative for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees. She has received a Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award as well as many other recognitions for her outstanding and brave work, all while maintaining a family, acting career, and newly established directing career. She is unstoppable…and gorgeous too!

4.) Lupita Nyong’o

This Mexican-Kenyan beauty took 2014 by storm. There wasn’t a magazine cover Lupita Nyong’o wasn’t on, and an award she didn’t win. Her gut-wrenching performance as Patsy in the Academy Award winning picture, 12 Years A Slave, was praised by critics and colleagues of being one of the best performances of all time. What makes it even more amazing is that this was her first role in a feature film. She took home the Academy Award for ‘Best Actress in a Supporting Role’ and was also the first Kenyan actress to win an Academy Award. She is an advocate for young dreamers wherever they come from, and inspires people to keep pushing forward. People Magazine named her “The Most Beautiful Woman of 2014,” and she was also named “Woman of the Year” by Glamour Magazine. We plan on seeing a lot more of Lupita in the future!

3.) Lady Gaga 

Our Mother Monster has been become one of the most famous icons in the world. She is known for her out-of-this-world artistry and fashion choices. Her music has inspired many to stay true to themselves, and she has grown a huge fan base for being so relatable. Lady Gaga is very vocal about being a victim of bullying in the past, and has become an advocate to stop bullying. She has also become involved in LGBT rights and supports the legalization of gay marriage. She has 5 GRAMMY Awards, 13 MTV Video Music Awards, and 13 Guinness World Records. She is also one of the best-selling musicians of all time. We surely don’t see her going anywhere any time soon…and we are definitely okay with that!

2.) Ellen DeGeneres 

Ellen is one of the most successful and beloved women in entertainment of all time. Not only is she known for her wit, charm, talk show, being the voice of our beloved Dory, and hosting gigs, she is known as an inspiration to so many. She is an advocate for LGBT rights, and has been extremely vocal of it since she came out to the public in 1997. Degeneres married Portia de Rossi on August 16, 2008 at their home in Beverly Hills after the overturn of the same-sex marriage ban in California. This event inspired many same-sex couples to fight for their rights to marry. Ellen is also a strong vegan and was named “Woman of the Year” by PETA in 2009. In November of 2011, Hillary Clinton named her a representative for Global AIDS Awareness. Ellen is generous to her fans as well, often inviting extraordinary citizens on her show who deserve to be recognized and many times makes donations to those in need. Ellen has hosted the Academy Awards, Grammy Awards, and the Primetime Emmys. She has authored three books, and started her own record company, Eleveneleven. She has won 13 Emmys, 14 People’s Choice Awards, and numerous other awards for her work and charitable efforts. Here’s to Ellen continuing to make an impact on our world! 

1.) Oprah Winfrey

This is kind of an obvious one – Oprah is one of the most famous, successful, charitable and inspirational women in the world. Her multi-award-winning talk show, The Oprah Winfrey Show, was the highest-rated program of its kind in history and was nationally syndicated from 1986 to 2011. Oprah is the chairwomen and CEO of Harpo Productions, CEO of The Oprah Winfrey Network, and is the CEO of OWN magazine. She has been named the “Queen of All Media,” with her contributions to film, television, radio, publications, web, and interviews. She has been ranked as the richest African-American of the 20th century, and was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2013 by President Barack Obama. Oprah has become an inspirational success and role-model for achieving anything after her poverty-filled childhood, and giving birth and losing a child at 14. Oprah instills strength, hope, and dignity into all who are and are not struggling, and inspires everyone to reach their dreams, no matter where you come from. In 1998, Winfrey created the Oprah’s Angel Network, a charity that supported charitable projects and provided grants to nonprofit organizations around the world. Oprah’s Angel Network raised more than $80,000,000. Oprah has an endless list of awards and recognitions, among them being several Academy Awards nominations. Oprah has and will continue to leave a mark on the world and our hearts as the most influential woman not only in entertainment, but in the world. 

Allie Duda

Point Park

Allison (Allie) Duda is a sophomore Mass Communications major. She loves all aspects in the media, and hopes to dabble in all of it someday. In her free time, she enjoys going to museums, doing freelance photography work, spending time with loved ones, shopping, and watching tv/films. Check out her website at www.allisonduda.wordpress.com
Lexie Mikula is senior Mass Communications major at Point Park University from Harrisburg, PA. Lexie held the position of Campus Correspondent and contributing editor-in-chief of HC Point Park from May 2014 - May 2016. In addition to social journalism and media, she enjoys rainy days in the city, dogs with personality, watching The Goonies with her five roommates (and HC teammates!), and coffee... copious amounts of coffee.