This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

In honor of National Hispanic Heritage Month, here is a list of Latina women who have made a difference in the world. These women range from a wide variety of different industries and backgrounds, but all have changed the world for the better. I’m so excited to share this list because, since I have grown up half Puerto-Rican, these women all left an impact on my life. Even if you’re not Latina, these women have probably touched you in some way:

1. Selena Quintanilla

Selena Quintanilla was a Mexican-American Tejano singer that performed with her brother, sister, and husband, Chris Perez. The band was managed by their father and performed all over the country. Selena won a Grammy and was the first Latina artist to do so in her category. She sold out large venues to her dedicated fans. Even 20 years after her death, people still love her. MAC Cosmetics is even creating a makeup line to honor her, which they announced will be released next summer.

2. Sonia Sotomayor

Sonia is an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court. She is the first Latina to be at this position. Sonia is Puerto Rican and grew up in the Bronx. She graduated summa cum laude from Princeton University and then went on to Yale to study law. Not only has she accomplished amazing things but she has opened up the opportunity for minority women to study law.

3. Marcela Valladolid

Marcela is a chef on the Food Network. She has her own cooking show and is also a co-host for a separate show. Growing up in Mexico, she was surrounded by tasty and fresh foods. She wanted to share this with the world, causing her decision to become a chef. She studied at the Los Angeles Culinary Institute and the Ritz Escoffier Cooking School in Paris. After graduating from both schools she went back Mexico to cater and teach culinary arts to children. Now she is one of the most popular chefs on the channel, and inspires young girls to enjoy culinary arts.

4. Ana Lilian Flores 

Ana is the brain behind Latina Bloggers Connect. LBC is a network for Latina bloggers to get teamed up with brands. It’s almost like an agency for bloggers. LBC helps Latina women build a career out of their blogs and allows them to work with brands and create popular content. It also gives them the opportunity to develop their own brands and get their name out into the world.

5. Jennifer Lopez

Jennifer is probably the most well-known on this list, especially after playing Selena Quintanilla in a movie about Selena’s life. Jennifer is Puerto Rican and grew up in the Bronx. She went on to dance on “In Living Color.” After that, she started acting, and continued on to recording music. She’s known for the men she has married, but people forget that she has paved the way for not only Latina women, but all women to be accepted for their body types. She is a business woman and entrepreneur as well as is an icon to many.