5 Binge-Worthy Shows on Netflix

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

One Tree Hill  – Stars: 4.5

Where do I even begin. If you haven’t heard it already from one of your girlfriends, this show is life changing. This series is definitely for that drama loving, living through other people’s relationships side of yourself. There’s 9 seasons, so there’s a bit of commitment to it. Every season is absolutely worth it. Between the love stories and friendships that rise above everything you will be continuously staring down the “Next episode playing in…” countdown. Plus, it has a killer soundtrack.

Netflix Bio: “In this series, half-brothers Lucas and Nathan alternate between kinship and rivalry on the basketball court and in the hearts of their friends.”

House of Cards – Stars: 5

This series is for the dark, twisty side of yourself. There’s all kinds of dirty political schemes happening in each episode. It’s a political drama so fasten in for the upbeat pace and nasty ways of The White House. There’s 3 seasons streaming right now, so there’s plenty of time to catch up before March 4th when Season 4 comes out! This series can be a little odd sometimes with the plot, but it’s a total recommendation.

Netflix Bio: “A ruthless politician will stop at nothing to conquer Washington, D.C., in this Emmy and Globe-winning political drama.”

Portlandia – Stars: 3.5

I loooooooove this series. You definitely have to have a certain type of humor to find this show funny. It’s not really “LOL!” funny, but they definitely have you crack a smile every episode. It takes place in Portland, Oregon. It basically makes fun of different kinds of hipsters. They do it in such a brilliant way though. There’s 5 seasons, season 6 playing on IFC now. Probably will be streaming on Netflix in the future. The shows are a short watch, 25 minutes, so get to streaming!

Netflix Bio: “Fred Armisen and Carrie Brownstein send up the residents of Portland, Ore. Typical targets include artisanal light bulbs and feminist bookstores.”

Parenthood – Stars 5

Talk about a tear jerker. I think I cried every episode, but in such a good way. This show is all about family and it’s awesome. There’s a big family that lives in California and overcomes all kinds of struggles together. The cast is top of the line and so is the writing. This series will for sure tug on your heartstrings. It’s a pretty big commitment, 6 seasons. Totally worth every second though!

Netflix Bio: “Four grown siblings juggle parenthood, relationships, careers and more as they cope with life’s ups and downs in this drama set in Berkeley, Calif.”

New Girl – Stars: 5

Who doesn’t love Zooey Deschanel? She kills it in this role of being the “New Girl.” She moves in with 3 dudes and totally makes it work. There’s a lot more to this show once you start watching it. There’s the typical struggles of romances and friendships, but in such a fun, quirky way. This show is a fun commitment, but nothing too much. There’s 4 seasons on Netflix right now, but the 5th season is happening now on TV. So expect it coming when you are just about to go through severe Zooey withdrawal.

Netflix Bio: “Still rebounding from a breakup, Jessica Day moves in with three single guys, all whom are ready to help her understand the ways of the world.”

Abi Gildea

Point Park

Lexie Mikula is senior Mass Communications major at Point Park University from Harrisburg, PA. Lexie held the position of Campus Correspondent and contributing editor-in-chief of HC Point Park from May 2014 - May 2016. In addition to social journalism and media, she enjoys rainy days in the city, dogs with personality, watching The Goonies with her five roommates (and HC teammates!), and coffee... copious amounts of coffee.