The 20 Longest Running TV Shows in America

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

Years ago, when a new television show premiered, it was given time – sometimes more than it deserved – to evolve and grow an audience.  Back in the days when there were only three or four channels to choose from, a show could run for half a season or more, even with somewhat lousy ratings, but still have a chance to return the following season. Nowadays, shows can disappear after a single episode if the ratings aren’t good enough.  The higher cost of producing a television series these days combines with the higher level of competition channels face, and the result is that TV executives can’t afford to give a show a full season to “find itself” anymore.

The good new, however, is that there are plenty of shows that have stood the test of time.  Here’s a list of just some of the shows that are celebrating longevity on broadcast television:

1.    Meet the Press (NBC)

It’s probably no surprise that this public affairs program is the longest running. It made its debut on November 6, 1947, and is now in its 67th season on the air.

2.    CBS Evening News (CBS)

CBS’s nightly newscast is the second-longest running network newscast, having premiered on May 3, 1948. It is now in its 65th season.

3.    Today (NBC)

Network television’s longest running morning program and now in its 63rd season, it sports a growing cast and runs several hours per day in some markets. It premiered on January 14, 1952.

4.    The Tonight Show (NBC)

When you consider that this show is now in its 60th season, it’s amazing how few hosts it has had. The show first premiered on September 27, 1954 and is considered the world’s longest running talk show.

5.    The NFL on CBS (CBS)

CBS’s weekly coverage of the NFL’s American Football Conference has been running since September 6, 1998, which means it is now in its 54th season on the air.

6.    General Hospital (ABC)

General Hospital became the longest running soap on the air. Premiering on April Fool’s Day in 1963, it is now in its 52nd season.

7.    Days of Our Lives (NBC)

Days of Our Lives has been around since November 8, 1965 and on its 49th season, making it the second longest running soap on broadcast television.

8.    60 Minutes (CBS)

Premiered on September 24, 1968 and is still regarded as some of the best journalism on television, it is often in the Nielsen top 10 ratings each week and is now in its 46th season.

9.    Sesame Street (PBS)

Sesame Street premiered on October 5, 1970 making it the longest running children’s show and is now in its 45th season.

10. NBC Nightly News (NBC)

The current program actually made its premiere in 1970, when the iconic anchorman Chet Huntley, half of the number one-rated Huntley-Brinkley Report decided to retire. The newscast was then renamed NBC Nightly News. NBC’s first nightly newscast was in the form of NBC Television Newsreel, which premiered in February of 1948. It is now in its 43rd season.

11. Masterpiece Theatre (PBS)

It is American’s longest running drama series first premiered on January 10, 1971 and it is now in its 43rd season.

12. The Price is Right (CBS)

Premiered on September 4, 1972, making it the longest running game show and it is now in its 42nd season.

13. Great Performances (PBS)

First premiered on November 4, 1972, making it the longest running performing arts anthology on television. It is now in its 42nd season.

14. NOVA (PBS)

The popular science series first premiered on March 3, 1974, and is not in its 41st season.

15. Saturday Night Live (NBC)

Premiered on October 11, 1975, making it the longest running sketch comedy show on American television, as well as the longest running variety show in the U.S. history. It is in its 39th season.

16. The Simpsons (FOX)

First premiered on December 17, 1989, making it the longest running animated American series, as well as the longest running American sitcom and longest running scripted primetime series. It is in its 26th season.

17. Arthur (PBS)

Premiered on September 2, 1996, making it the longest running animated series on PBS. It is also the 2nd longest animated series on television and it is now in its 17th season.

18. Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (NBC)

First premiered on September 20, 1999, and is currently the longest running scripted non-animated U.S. Primetime television series. It is now in its 16th season.

19. SpongeBob SquarePants (Nickelodeon)

Premiered on May 1, 1999, making it the longest running Nickelodeon animated series as well as the only remaining Nick program still on air and still in production that debuted on nick before the year 2000. It is now in its 10th season.

20. Dora the Explorer (Nickelodeon)

Premiered on August 14, 2000, making it the longest running Nick Jr. series. It is now in its 8th season.

I am majoring in photography at Point Park University. I love reading, writing and hanging out with my friends. I would also love to travel the world someday with my camera taking pictures.
Lexie Mikula is senior Mass Communications major at Point Park University from Harrisburg, PA. Lexie held the position of Campus Correspondent and contributing editor-in-chief of HC Point Park from May 2014 - May 2016. In addition to social journalism and media, she enjoys rainy days in the city, dogs with personality, watching The Goonies with her five roommates (and HC teammates!), and coffee... copious amounts of coffee.