10 Years of Hannah Montana

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

YOU GET THE BEST OF BOTH OF WORLDS!! Do you remember the moment you heard those lyrics? Of course, you do. They came from Disney Channel’s very own blonde pop sensation, Hannah Montana. 

“Hannah Montana” first premiered in March 2006 with its lead star Miley Cyrus. For those who don’t know what this iconic show was about (let’s face it – if you don’t, you must have been living under a rock from 2006 to 2011), it basically involves Miley Stewart (Cyrus) who is just an average high school girl by day and then at night, pop star Hannah Montana! She got to live the best of both worlds (*cue theme song*).

From the first episode, the world was hooked. Disney Channel saw its highest ratings ever and Miley Cyrus became on overnight megastar. The first season saw a #1 album, dolls, and millions of loyal fans. By the time the 2nd season ended, “Hannah Montana” would be a pop culture phenomenon. Hannah and Miley were everywhere! You couldn’t escape them.

The Hannah Empire grew through the mid-2000s with a huge sold-out tour, a feature film, and even Miley Cyrus’ own solo albums. It was Hannah Montana’s world and we were just living in it. However, like most great things, it ended. Hannah Montana would have its series finale in 2011 with tears around the world. Sweet Niblets Hannah! Why did you have to do this to us?

From 2006-2011, Hannah was with us every day. We would jam to her albums, run home after school to watch the newest episode, and Miley posters were all over our rooms. We all remember Jake Ryan (*cough, cough* Leslie) and Miley’s up and down love. We remember Hannah Montana and Mikayla’s (Selena Gomez) iconic feud. There were so many moments that we cherished growing up.

Ten long years have since passed and a lot has changed. Miley Cyrus has become a twerking music legend, Mitchel Musso is a bit of hot mess, and Emily Osment is still acting. However, the trio all reconnected this past week to share their love of the show. Miley even posted a whole status about the show on Instagram (where she hardly acknowledges Hannah Montana, herself). Hannah Montana taught us all something. We all took something from her. Here are HC Point Park’s 10 “Hannah Montana” moments we will never forget. (Here comes the nostalgia)

10. STUPID CUTE JONAS BROTHERS!We were all thinking it, Miley Stewart just said it for us.

9. Leaving Your Bed Is Hard8. Miley Stewart and Jake Ryan Were they ever really a couple? No one truly knows, however, their love for each other still melts hearts today. Also, who can forget when he told Miley what his real name was (LESILE, WHAT’S GOOD?)

7. “Nobody’s Perfect” A true bop — This is the best Hannah Montana song to date. It was catchy and had important message… no one is perfect. We all rocked in our rooms to this.  Also, it was probably your most played song on your iPod. Don’t lie. It was.

*All of us to be honest*6. Dolly Parton Yes, Dolly Parton was on “Hannah Montana!” She played Miley Stewart’s godmother and we loved every moment of it. Fun fact: she also is Miley Cyrus’s real life godmother!

5. Say What? We all lived for it. Whenever Miley (and Hannah) would get in trouble with Dad, Robby Ray, she would let out, “Daddy, Say What!” with so much spunk and sass that it still has us laughing today.

4. Friendship Rules No matter what happened as Hannah, Miley Stewart always had her two best friends by her side. Lily and Oliver were with her every step of the way. They didn’t care that she was the world’s biggest superstar; she was just their friend. This taught kids all around the cherish friends and make lifelong friendships.

3. The Bone DanceWe will never study science the same way…

2. Sweet Niblets The saying the show became famous for! Whenever something wouldn’t go Hannah’s way she would let out “Sweet Niblets,” and it’s still being said to this day.

1. Hannah Montana’s Big RevealOn one of the final episodes, Miley is tired of living in the shadows of Hannah Montana and rips her wig off at a concert. She explains she wanted to be herself and didn’t know if she could live a double life anymore. This moment was emotional for all of us and there is a reason it’s number #1: For most of us, “Hannah Montana” was a sweet treat. We were just kids figuring out the world and we saw Hannah as an escape. We grew up with her and Miley Cyrus. The reveal marked the end of an era for every kid in the world. However, she still lives in our hearts to this day.

Hannah Montana’s impact on the world still lives on to this day. We still rock out to our old Hannah CD’s and even though Miley, well, is just being Miley, we know Hannah is still in there. Just take this in: Hannah Montana is TEN years old. Feeling old? Yep, I bet you are! Share your favorite “Hannah Montana” moments at @HCPointPark!

Brendan Dazen was born June 10th, 1994 in Pittsburgh, Pa. As a child he particapted in such activities as soccer, dance, theater, baseball, and singing. He grew up to love theater and music so much. He even landed a "Best Newcomer" award for Peters Township High School's theater department . He now attends Point Park University for Sports, Arts, and Entertainment Management. He wanted to become a member of HerCampus because he wanted to share his thoughts and ideas of pop culture, music, and fashion with his campus, and hopefully other schools. Brendan has a strong interset in Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus, sunflowers, fashion, adventutres, photography, concerts, and dance. He hopes in the future to be a production manager.
Lexie Mikula is senior Mass Communications major at Point Park University from Harrisburg, PA. Lexie held the position of Campus Correspondent and contributing editor-in-chief of HC Point Park from May 2014 - May 2016. In addition to social journalism and media, she enjoys rainy days in the city, dogs with personality, watching The Goonies with her five roommates (and HC teammates!), and coffee... copious amounts of coffee.