toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The 10 Haunted Attractions Near Pittsburgh That You Must Visit This Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Point Park chapter.

If your social media feeds are anything like mine, all you’ve seen lately is how excited everyone is for fall and Halloween. There’s no doubt that the fun turns up as the temperatures cool down at this time of year, and haunted houses are one of the biggest reasons why! Her Campus has done its research to find you the 10 best haunted attractions in the Pittsburgh/surrounding area (in no particular order), so round up your friends this Halloween season and prepare to be terrified. Scared-y cats look no further:

1. Rich’s Fright Farm (Smithfield, PA)

There’s not just one but FIVE parts to this haunted attraction: the Dead End Hayride, Hallow Grounds, Frightmare Mansion, PARANOIA, and Terror Maze. Waiting in line is half the fun here because live bands & DJs, laser shows, dance crews, fire-breathers, freak-show acts, horror movie screenings, and Fright Farm characters provide entertainment the whole night!

Open from: September 26-November 2

General admission: $25

2. ScareHouse (Etna, PA)

Three haunts for the price of one are included with your ticket: Creepo’s Christmas in 3-D, The Summoning, and Pittsburgh Zombies Black Out! Not scary enough for you? ScareHouse also invites you down to The Basement …the most intense fear experience. Ever.

Open from: September 19-November 1

General admission: $24.99

3. Terror Town (located in the Strip District of Pittsburgh)

This is Pittsburgh’s largest indoor haunted attraction, and is full of spine-tingling action, gruesome props, and terrifying mazes!

Open from: September 26-November 1

General admission: $18

4. Hundred Acres Manor (Bethel Park, PA)

Forget what you know about fear, because you’ll be coming face-to-face with frightening zombies, creatures, monsters, and products of your worst nightmares at this top-ranked haunted house.

Open from: September 12-November 2

General admission: $18

5. Cheeseman Fright Farm (Portersville, PA)

Because let’s face it, few settings are scarier than a haunted farm. Cheeseman’s also offers tons of daytime activities for those easily terrified, so come here to get your pumpkin picking and apple cider fix!

Open from: September 26-November 1

General admission: $15

6. Demon House (Monongahela, PA)

Nothing generates good, authentic terror in a haunted house like a legend, and Demon House has one that’s true. Learn all about it over a campfire while you wait for entry into the mansion!

Open from: September 5-November 1

General admission: $18

7. Huston’s Haunted Hollow (Rockwood, PA)

This dark and frightening haunted attraction will have you afraid to sleep for days from it’s Haunted Boarding House, Twisted Barn, Haunted Hayride & Toxic Swamp Walk, and Dead End Cornfield!

Open from: October 3-November 1

General admission: $18

8. Freddy’s Haunts (Aliquippa, PA)

Yet another haunted house with a spooky legend! Take our word for it- half of the scare is just getting there. Maybe you’ll make it, maybe you won’t…

Open from: September 26-TBD

General admission: $12

9. Phantom Fright Nights at Kennywood Park (West Mifflin, PA)

Like the undead crawling out of their graves, Phantom Fright Nights is back at Kennywood Park this year! Get ready to experience the scariest spectacles of sheer terror including BioFear, Voodoo Bayou, Mortem Manor, Villa of the Vampires, and others too horrific to mention.

Open Fridays & Saturdays only from: September 26-November 1 PLUS Sunday, October 12

General admission: $32.99

10. West Virginia Penitentiary (Moundsville, WV)

We saved this one for last for a reason, and that reason is it’s a real haunted prison. Take a stroll through the just-for-Halloween parts of the attraction, sign up for Zombie Paintball (new for the 2014 season), or do a genuine overnight paranormal investigation. Regardless of which, this place is NOT recommended for the faint-hearted!

*Dates and ticket prices will vary

Be sure to visit each haunted attraction’s website for hours, discounts, group rates, media, contact information, directions, FAQ’s, and more! 

Cassandra Stovash is a Fall 2015 graduate of the Sports, Arts & Entertainment Management program at Point Park University. She began involvement with Her Campus as a contributing writer at the WVWC chapter, which sparked her passion for the Her Campus mission, and knew she had to bring it to Point Park University when she transferred there in the fall of 2013. After founding the chapter and serving as its editor-in-chief for a year, she moved up the Her Campus ranks to a Chapter Advisor position that's allowed her to work with 15+ chapters across the United States! Being part of Her Campus provided Cassandra with countless opportunities throughout college such as attending Her Conference and College Fashion Week events in New York City. Her most notable highlight was receiving press access at Vans Warped Tour in 2014 & 2015, where she interviewed artists such as Echosmith, Courage My Love, The Summer Set, and PVRIS. Nowadays, Cassandra is continuing her pursuit of a career in the music industry! To get in contact with her, email Cstovash@gmail.com, or follow her on Instagram @cassi_faye.