This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Plattsburgh chapter.

Everyone will have different college experiences. Some will have the best time of their lives, and others will be extremely homesick. You have to find your groove in the first couple of months. Take a break and remember to always put yourself first. 

Do’s and Don’ts

•  DO: Get a planner!

Although it doesn’t seem significant now, it will help you keep track of homework assignments, exams and important meetings you can’t miss. 

• Don’t bring SUPER valuable objects/items. 

Honestly, this right here is HUGE because once you lose it, it’s gone forever. Only a few people are friendly enough to return something worth a lot of money.

• Do join clubs.

It is a crucial part of the college experience and the fastest way to make friends.

• Don’t be an introvert. 

It’s OK to be shy, but pushing yourself out of your comfort zone is very important when you are starting over in a new place alone and finding ways to get that experience. It may be hard at first to leave the room and interact with people you’ve never met, but it will help with not getting homesick and making new memories that you can carry with you for life. 

• Do learn to cook.

Meal plans are expensive. Learning to cook during your first year of college can save you a lot of money, although it may be time-consuming. 

• Don’t go home every weekend. 

Going away to college is to get the experience out of the house. Going home on the weekends will make you more accustomed to seeing your family all the time, making you want to return home forever.

College life is about the experience and the people you meet. You can miss a lifetime of experiences when going home regularly. Make friends and have life-changing experiences with people you can see whenever you want without permission. Live your pre-adult life as much as possible, and always be yourself. College is just like high school, with older people. Many people get lost in the hype of being something they’re not. Never forget who you are as a person. You will find someone as fun and crazy as you are. You only get your college years once, so live them like your last.

Tiara Smith

Plattsburgh '26

Hi, my name is Tiara Smith. This is my first year working with the Her Campus group on campus. I'm a part of the social media team at Suny Plattsburgh. I post on our Instagram and TikTok pages. I post photos of different moods and poems during the week. I'm a part of the Student Association on campus. I'm the activities coordinator, so I plan many events on campus. I work with the students on campus and see what fun activities they would like to do. I also received a scholarship award called Youth of the Year before attending SUNY Plattsburgh. That most spoke behind my character and who I am as a young adult. I'm an early childhood education and special ed major with a minor in studio art. I aspire to be a special ed art teacher. My nephew is my biggest inspiration. He showed me a different appreciation for people on the spectrum. Just because it takes them longer to learn a topic doesn’t mean they won’t get it. Some activities I like to do for fun are dancing, painting, and drawing. When I was younger, I used to run track and field/cross country, play lacrosse, soccer, and do karate. My parents found it necessary for my siblings and I to be well-versed in every activity we did growing up.