Feature Nails Hero
Feature Nails Hero
Megan Charles / Her Campus Media
Style > Beauty

Putting Press-On Nails to the Test

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Plattsburgh chapter.

If you do your nails at home, you understand the struggle of finding inexpensive, high-quality, easy-to-use nail products, and you are not alone. 

I have spent so much of my time trying to find the best method of doing my nails at home. I even had my own UV lamp and gel nail polish set, but after a while, the polish dried up and I had to throw them away. After that, I resorted to going to the salon for special occasions only.

Then COVID-19 hit and the option to go to the salon was out the window. At this point in time, the salons are open for the most part, but some just feel more comfortable doing it themselves in the comfort of their own home. 

As someone who feels safer avoiding the salon, I found what looked like to be the perfect solution: press-on nails. Specifically, I was intrigued by the brand Glamnetics. You might have even heard of them before because the company is all over social media constantly promoting its products. From the reviews, I saw of their beauty products they seem like a trusted company and people like what they have to offer.

I knew after I saw the promotion, I had to try the press-on nails for myself. 

I placed my order and bitterly, I received my nails after two weeks, even though I had specifically paid for the faster shipping charge. However, let’s move to the main attraction.

Press on nail package
Original photo by Nicole Hayes

This is how my package arrived.

How the Product Came

The packaging of the product did feel somewhat cheap, but that should be expected after only paying about $15. I ordered the press-on nails in the shade “Angel,” which were all white, almond-shaped and in the short style according to Glamnetics

press on nail package
Original photo by Nicole Hayes

Pictured is how the product came. Photo by Nickie Hayes.

In the box came more than a few items: one alcohol pad to clean the nails before application, one nail file, the glue, a cuticle pusher and of course, the press-on nails. After anticipating the arrival for a while, I was intrigued to open the package and see everything inside. My first impression was that these nails are not “short,” as claimed on the website. 

press on nail package opened
Original photo by Nicole Hayes

Pictured is all that was included in the package. Photo by Nickie Hayes. 

Nail Sizes Used

My hands are small, so when I saw the length of the nails it was quite intimidating. As well, from what I could gather, this product may work best with individuals whose hands and nails are slightly larger or average-sized. For anyone who considers their hands to be large, I do not know if this product would work because the actual press-on nails may be too small. 

Left Hand

Pinky Finger: Size “9”

Ring Finger: Size “7”

Middle Finger: Size “6.5”

Pointer Finger: Size “7”

Thumb: Size “3”

Right Hand

Pinky Finger: Size “9”

Ring Finger: Size “6”

Middle Finger: Size “6.5”

Pointer Finger: Size “6”

Thumb: Size “2”

I ended up filing some of the nails to create a custom size for myself, to make sure they fit my nails properly and were given a fair test. As well, this made them look as natural as possible to fit my more square-shaped cuticles compared to the rounded press-on nails. There was only one nail I should have ended up sizing up to fit more snuggly. I used larger sizes for the nails on my right hand, my dominant hand. 

The Application Process

For the application, I will not lie, I had some difficulties. The glue that was provided in the kit did not have the most precise applicator so that in turn made the process much more troublesome. The glue came in an extremely small tube, so it was hard to manipulate. As well, the nail glue that came in the kit irritated my skin, causing a slight burning sensation. 

On the other hand, I ended up using a different nail glue that I had already owned, and I had no issues with irritation. I used “Kiss Brush-On Nail Glue” and this made the process go much smoother. However, Glamnetics does sell a brush-on nail glue on their website, but that is not included. 

The first nail I applied had way too much glue on it, consequently flooding the nail. I found the best application for the glue was to apply it to my nail and the press-on nail, as directed. Specifically, I placed the glue on the middle of my nail and then applied a light coat all over the bottom half of the press-on nail. 

If you are already accustomed to applying press-on nails, I am sure this process would be much easier for you than it was for me. These would probably be a breeze to apply.

Going back to the length of the nails again, I would not consider these to be short. I understand to acquire the proper almond shape, a little extra length is needed, but this seemed to be slightly excessive. Compared to what I saw on the website, these appeared to be much longer. Although, this is coming from someone who keeps their nails extremely short.

press on nails on nicoles nails
Original photo by Nicole Hayes

These were the nails just after applying. As you can see, the first nail I applied was the middle finger, where I initially flooded the nail with glue. Photo by Nickie Hayes. 

After I finished applying the nails, I ended up filing them down to my desired shape and length. I wanted them to be less sharp because I have a kitten and did not want to end up poking her with them. These are undoubtedly customizable. 

In the last part of the application process, I got rid of the excess glue that had gotten onto my hands and nail beds. It was easy to get all of the excess glue off with just some warm water.

press on nails on nicoles nails after a few weeks
Original photo by Nicole Hayes

ORIGINAL PHOTO BY NICOLE HAYES

Pictured is the final product of how the nails turned out, after a few days of wearing them. Photo by Nickie Hayes.

Final Thoughts and Taking Them Off

My final thoughts of the press-on nails and the whole process were almost all good things. They were comfortable and easy to wear. Plus, it felt like I had just gotten my nails done for a fourth of the cost. 

If you are interested in trying out these for yourself, I would highly recommend purchasing a nail glue with a brush applicator, having an extra nail file on hand and a buffing block. I did not bother using the nail file in the kit because it was just too small. Also, I ended up using my buffing block to get the edges of the nail to be as clean and smooth as possible. It was extremely helpful to have the buffing block and I would not have been able to make the nails look as nice without it. 

I ended up wearing these nails for a full week, and then I soaked them off. I had put them through my normal week including work, school and anything else I would usually do in my day-to-day life, and I had minimal issues with them. The only major structural problem I had with the nails was that one of the nails split down the middle during the middle of the week-long wear test. I was still able to wear the nail, but by the end of the week, the nail had cracked completely, and the tip broke off. Though, you could easily soak off one individual nail and replace it. 

To take the nails off you soak them in warm water for 15 minutes. I had no problem taking them off after that, and they sort of just peeled off. There was no need to pull them off and damage my natural nails. 

I would highly consider purchasing these again in a different shade and recommend them to someone else who also does not like going to the salon. They worked as well as I thought they would for the price.  I can officially say that I have another reason to not go to the salon again, and you do too.

Nickie Hayes

Plattsburgh '23

Hello! My name is Nickie Hayes. I am a senior at SUNY Plattsburgh in upstate N.Y. with a major in fitness and wellness leadership and a minor in journalism. In my free time I love to listen to Kpop music, watch anime and play video games. At my school I am the Editor-in-Chief of our online magazine called All Points Now or APN. As well, this year for my internship I am the nutritionist for the men's soccer team. I love to write and I'm excited to be able to share my work here!