This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Plattsburgh chapter.

Halloween, in my opinion, is the best holiday ever to be created. Since I was a little girl, I loved the idea of dressing up and going trick-or-treating. As I get older, my love for the holiday grows and now I just want to decorate my house with spooky decorations, wear spooky PJs with fuzzy socks, and watch a Halloween movie while eating pumpkin-shaped sugar cookies. If you’re looking for something not scary to watch for this season with family and friends, I’m your girl.

The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

I don’t care what anybody says, this is the top one because it’s the ultimate Halloween movie. It has a great soundtrack, all the spooky characters, and a funny plot. I will always put this movie number one.

Coraline (2009)

A girl named Coraline Jones moves into Pink Palace Apartments and quickly discovers there is a secret door leading to an alternate world that’s almost identical to hers… but better? Don’t underestimate this movie, it’ll give you serious chills.

Twitches (2005)

“Twitches” is a classic Halloween movie starring Tia and Tamera Mowry as twin witches, twitches, who were separated at birth and reunited to fight evil. Who wouldn’t want to watch this?

ParaNorman (2012)

Norman Babcock can see and speak to the dead. His dead uncle warns him that a centuries-old witch’s curse on their town is real and about to come true. He works hard to save the town and establish peace between the dead and living. This movie freaks me out, but I absolutely love it. 

Casper (1995)

Casper is your friendly ghost that inhabits a mansion Kat and his father move into. Casper falls in love with Kat, but it’s hard to have a relationship with a ghost. Casper is a cute classic movie that’ll just leave you in awe. 

Corpse Bride (2005)

Victor and Victoria are arranged to be married, when he stumbles upon the land of the dead and meets Emily. She’s on a mission to marry Victor, but Victor is on a mission to return to Victoria and marry her.  This movie would have you crying and laughing, speaking from experience. 

Ghostbusters (series)

A classic movie that follows a team of scientists who decide to become ghostbusters after they lose their jobs at a university in New York City. The original one is great, but the remake in 2016 is by far my favorite. 

The Addams Family (Series)

Watching the spookiest and mysterious family known to the Halloween world is always a great choice. There are many versions of The Addams Family, but I enjoyed the 2019 cartoon version the most. 

Monster House (2006)

Three kids believe their neighbor’s house is alive and the man living in it is in trouble. The trio has to find a way to destroy the house before trick-or-treaters meet their ghastly end. Honestly, this movie scared me a lot as a child, hence its low ranking.

Hocus Pocus (1993)

In Salem, Massachusetts, three kids had just moved into the neighborhood and were exploring when they discovered a coven of evil witches. The kids are on a mission to stop the witches from executing their evil plan. Honestly, this movie is my least favorite just because it was so overplayed on TV, but it’s a great movie overall.  

I hope you check out some of these movies and enjoy them. They’re great kid-friendly movies, but also good for the soul just to laugh and get into the Halloween spirit. Happy spooky season, everyone.

Abigail Jarrett

Plattsburgh '26

Hey everyone! My name is Abigail Jarrett an Early Childhood Education major with a minor in English at SUNY Plattsburgh and a member of the Women's tennis team. In my free time you will find me at the gym, on an outdoor run, or just reading a good mystery book.